I forgot my password (DiskCryptor)

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by kometa, May 5, 2023.

1. kometa

kometa Registered Member

Hello I forgot the password, it is some ways to recover password or to change, or to reveal .diskcryptor bootloader ?
    who can help me?

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

If your encrypted volume is currently in an encrypted state, it is impossible to recover your password or brute force decrypt your data.

If your encrypted volume was currently in a decrypted state and running, there are sophisticated ways to get your password from memory, or through a side channel attack on your unpatched processor. In both cases, the attacker, in this case you yourself, will need direct access to your PC. But this won't work for you as your volume is encrypted.

The boot loader attack you are talking about is the famous "Evil Maid" attack, and that also works only if the infected system is decrypted at least once while the malware is on it. See the following link:

https://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2009/10/evil-maid-goes-after-truecrypt.html

There may be some classified way to get access to your data, but unless someone working in one of the spy agencies like the NSA owes you large sums of money, and is willing to commit treason, you my friend are out of luck!

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

If the password was short or far from random then maybe
    I found following site that claims that some script can extract Diskcryptor hash to a format that John the Ripper could try to crack
    https://fossies.org/dox/john-1.9.0-jumbo-1/autotoc_md17.html

I didn't used this. If Diskcryptor is a proper tool, password was long (16+) and good quality then you are out of luck. That's the point of encryption: you can't decrypt it without a key or password

4. warrior99

warrior99 Registered Member

The short answer is no
    and the long answer is, If password was short you might be able to brute force it,
    If the password was long 16 to 30 with numbers and Symbols it would take a considerable amount longer than your life to brute force! so there is the long answer No,

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That's what I think when I see these. If you could crack it then it wasn't worth running in the first place. For future reference it might be a good idea when using such software to write the password down somewhere with no other context on the note and hide it. And don't for get where you hid it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.