I don't use MS SE, however, I do use Windows Defender.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I know there are several ways to tweek SE to update as frequently as you choose. Can any of those methods be applied to WD? As it stands now, automatic updates are usually two three definitions behind from what I can manual update. Thank You!

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd guess it is possible.

Write a batch file for MpCmdRun.exe

@echo off
    cd "%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Defender\"
    start /min mpcmdrun.exe -signatureupdate

Place it, for example, under the Windows Defender folder. Then, create a scheduled task pointing to the *.bat file to update it say 30 in 30 minutes. Or whatever you wish. You would like to also define the task only to start when an Internet connection is found.

3. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Though I am not currently using Windows Defender but an year ago when I was using it , I could manually run updates for it many times a day and it wouldn't update. The problem is that there were not such updates on server - there were twice per week . In order to up-to-date I had to download the daily updates from Microsoft Malware Protection Center : http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/HowToWD.aspx

With the batch file you are making the OP simply make WD update itself via the regular way . The question is are there really such updates on the servers ? Note WD is still different from MSE in some ways

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK. So, the problem is actually how often Microsoft sends updates to Windows Defender through their servers.

Yes, the batch file would only to the process automatically without user interaction.

I'm guessing one way would be to grab the definitions from the link you gave and update from it.

I wonder why the gap though o_O It doesn't make any sense to have up-to-date definitions at the link you gave, but not when WD checks the servers for new definitions o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.