I consider to purchase, but need info

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by tepe2, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Im interested in security applications. I believe I need more than NOD+XPFW.

RegDef cost 29.95. Is it worth the price? Is it easy to use?

If I buy both RegDef and AppDef, what will the price be?

Theres a free version for both. Will it do? Whats the difference?

New versions soon? (Because then I wait)

Do I still need CCleaner to clean and backup my reg? When both installed, do I need alternatives that can show me what processes are running, and to stop them from running? And do I need other alternative to manage what processes starts with Windows XP?

Specially interested in how easy/or not to use.

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

There are new versions of both AD and RD in the works, but all existing customers will be getting free upgrades to them. There is no price difference at this stage if you buy both.

The ease of use is questionable, it really depends on your experience to a great extent, which is pretty much the problem with all HIPS type software. A lot of users end up just clicking OK to prompts, so with a little learning you will know what you are saying yes/no to and after that the actual product is easy to use. Answering prompts and telling RD to remember your setting is just 2 clicks for instance.

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks.

I always spend some time reading about products before I make a decision. RD and AD seems like good choices and I keep that in mind.

4. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

What are the limitations of the free versions of Appdefend and Regdefend, and how do they compare to a Winpatrol or BoClean?

5. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Rigth now the limitation are (but subject to change i guess):

Appdefend No Limit but nag screen
    RegDefend Only allow "Alwais Accept/Deny" rules instead of case by case.

They do not compare to BOCLEAN. It's a completely different way of protection. GSS is a HIPS and alerts you of suspicious things. BOCLEAN Scan running executable against signature to find malware.

I beleive winpatrol is usermode while gss is kernel mode.
    This mean that it could be "easier" for a malware to bypass winpatrol than gss.
    This also mean that gss will not use system resource repetitively(timer) just to check everything is ok like winpatrol does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.