I can't update my JAVA - I get this windows installer error message

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

BTW - i recently tried using IE for the first time in a long time, and subsequently got 2 new items in 09 class in Hijack This. I think they are legitimate and sun was replacing some MSVJM code. But that made me think, why not check for updates, but now I get this installer message.

Is the windows installer confused because firefox is the default browser? I don't understand this error message. I started the windows installer service (in case that makes a difference, and it started)

Any advice would be appreciated

-HandsOff

Oh, let me add that my attempt to update was by using the java controls in the control panel and pressing "Update Now" - I do not have the auto-update option checked.

Attached Files:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

first, just for good measure, uninstall any previous java.

then clear your browser cache and redownload the installer.

and before u start the installer, clear your temp folder.

good luck

3. HandsOff

Hi WSF-

You said browser cache, not JAVA's cache...Would browser cache make a difference? Mine in not in standard location and is very large. Probably time to clear it anyways.

The problem with download the installer again is that to my knowledge it is never actually downloaded. It goes on to step two installing without having actually downloaded a thing.

At this point I'd like to inject the comment that I find it ironic that the one thing that M$ did well, MSVJM, is now not provided by them. If you read that error message is says check and see if the file was downloaded, or something. Hello, updater...you are the one who downloaded it, and you don't know if it was downloaded? Give me a break! Is this a stupid updater or what?

I think I will have to go to sun and download java then try it - but I have a problem here too - which is the actual one that I need to download? I hope they have made it cleare

4. WSFuser

i said clear your browser cache because i thought ud download from the site.

5. HandsOff

Do you have any idea at what point browser cache could be a problem. I have no limit on the size of mine...I just clear it every so often. It's about 1,500 files and 150 mb at present, but I think I will clear it before retrying the install.

-HandsOff

6. WSFuser

i just set my browsers' cache to either 50 or 64 MB.

also clear the cache before doing the download.

the temp folder is the one u should clear before the install.

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Did you manage it? 'Offline'
    http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    Sun recommends this page for an offline with that problem.

8. WSFuser

9. HandsOff

Hi -

WSF- I must be aggravating you plenty by now. It sometimes can be almost impossible to answer questions of mine that don't just generate new questions. I'm not sure why that is. if you enter java's settings > general, it too has temporary files. I'm still not sure if you ment these or the firefox ones, but there are only about five in java so no big deal

The next thing you hear will be that I tried and....

HandsOff

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I had the same error as u a week or so ago. Try the offline installer as mentioned above. It worked for me.

snowbound

11. HandsOff

Hi - Thanks for everyone's help - I actually did it, but it sure wasn't easy!

I downloaded from the link Meriadoc provided, and it downloaded without incident. I decided to reboot before installing, just my security blanket...

Then I doubleclicked the install.

Firewall asks if java can connect. By this time, willing to go along with anything I click OK. Then another connection request, and my computer is locked up!

I reboot again - old habits die hard

doubleclick the installer,

I am asked once more is I will allow java a connection. This time I say no. It asks 3 or 4 more times: no, no, no, no!

There is a brief pause

Then the installer starts up, does the install, I check versions and it is the new version

Then java wants to connect. I've been here before, it is the auto updater. Well, since it doesn't seem to work anyways, I deactivated it.

Everything is fine now! What did I learn? No autoupdater, no connections!

-HandsOff

12. WSFuser

well im glad its all sorted out. enjoy your new java :)

13. HandsOff

Thanks, and thanks for the help, but...

I would say there are still a few unanswered questions here, but this is a big step forward, not just because it's installed, but because I suspect this is the best approach to installing the updates. Someone once said,

"automatic just means you can't fix it yourself"

- HandsOff

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I like the offline version of JRE, but for some reason I used the online version of JRE 8 and I did not get the error message. BTW I use ERASER on my browser cash + temporary internet files; temp files; cookies; browser images and some of Operas .dat files and other Windows index.dat files with Index.dat suite http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Products&p=index.datsuite. The index.dat suite puts the index.dats in freespace then I just do a freespace wipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.