I Can't Uninstall Trial Version of Rollback Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by BigAppleJack, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAppleJack

BigAppleJack Registered Member

Hello everyone! :) I just joined so I hope I'm not breaking any rules with my post. I wish I had known about you guys long ago.
    Anyway, a few days ago, I downloaded the trial version of Rollback Rx. I set up a schedule for snapshots and that night I checked the Application Console to familiarize myself with things. Later on, I tried opening the console again and nothing happened. I thought that something was malfunctioning and that I would uninstall and try to download again. However, when I tried Uninstall, it showed after snapshots:
    Current System ...........For Uninstall..............Locked

When I closed out of there, a little box opened up saying Uninstall Failed! Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!:doubt:

P.S. I notice when I power up, I occasionally get a message Please wait....., which I've never encountered before and wonder if it has any relationship to Rollback.

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am new to RollBack so I cannot help you with the problem directly. There are however 2 things you can try. First, if you have not turned off System Restore you might try reverting the PC to a time before you installed RollBack. If successful this should remove the program. There are also a number of uninstall programs that are more efficient than the native uninstall app. I have had good luck with a program called ZSoft Uninstaller, its free and highly rated by both CNETs editor and actual users. You can find it at http://www.download.com/ZSoft-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10409090.html

If both of these fail perhaps someone (I expect this will happen) else will suggest a more sophisticated solution. The folks around here are awesome. Then there is also RollBack tech support (which can be a bit slow). I would try their live chat first. You can find it at http://www.horizondatasys.com/160270.ihtml

On the subject of RollBack I must say I am very pleased with the program so I hope you do not let this experience put you off it. I will post a link (as an edit to this post) to a list of do and don't with RollBack installed on a PC, hopefully this will help you avoid future problems if you decide to give it another shot.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: here is the link I promised. Good advice to keep RB users out of trouble. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1407190&postcount=69

3. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

When you boot the PC, do you get (did you ever get) the Rollback pre-boot screen where you can press the Home key to get into RB before Windows boots? If you can get to that menu then you get an option there to uninstall.

The current snapshot is always locked so that you can't delete that one by mistake.

If that doesn't work then you could try running the installation program again which would need to force uninstall a previous version before it could install again.

Which version is this, 8.1 or 9.0? I've never encountered the error you've got there but I'm also not using the latest version.

The problem with System Restore and other 3rd party uninstallers is that they will only be enabled after the RollBack drivers and so won't have the desired effect. I think that it is also recommended to turn off System Restore with RollBack, not for compatability reasons but to save on disk storage.

Graham

4. bgoodman4

That is correct, I opted to keep it on until I was satisfied RB worked as expected/hoped. I figured I could always turn it off later if I wished. I did not think of
    but if the rest of RB were to be removed would a registry cleaner not get rid of most of the remnants if not all. Also, if you were planning on reinstalling then these remnants would presumably be overwritten.

I think the idea of trying to reinstall is a great idea. IF you did this you might get a properly functioning program that would both function properly as well as allow for an uninstall if you wanted to do so.

5. bgoodman4

If you deleted the current snapshot you would be in effect deleting your OS and data (I believe) not something you want to do. The more I think about it the better I like the idea of reinstalling the program. If that fails probably your best bet would be to contact tech support.

I assume you do not have a pre-RollBack image you can restore. If not then for future reference picking up an imaging program would be a good idea.

6. bgoodman4

Another thought,,,,,,

when booting the system you should see a screen that says something to the effect " to access restore points press the home key". If you do see this on boot you could try this and then select your first snapshot to boot/restore to. I assume you were able to access the console at the time of your first snap so doing this should get you back to that state.

7. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Yes, but it is probably the pre-boot code in the MBR which is the issue and the registry cleaner won't get rid of that. You can also simply restore the MBR to it's pre-Rollback state with another utility but you should be able to do that from the pre-boot menu anyway. I'm not sure if that is still available though.

Graham

8. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

For what it is worth you may want to take a look at the contents of this page from the Horizon DataSys Knowledge Base:

http://support.horizondatasys.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443

and if that does not help then I would recommend trying what bgoodman4 suggested but also logging a Support Ticket

http://support.horizondatasys.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=4443

with the detail in your post...and you may get a response.

The other thing to try is a post at the Community Forum:

http://www.horizondatasys-forum.com/

Good luck...if I think of anything else in the meantiem I will post back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.