I can't get TI 10 to Restore - help please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rxtian, Oct 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

I bought a Dell Vostro 1500. I added all my Programs and Documents to it. So far so good. The last Program I added was True Image 10. I have TI 8 running and working well on two other computers.

Ok, so the only way to test TI 10, is to restore the Image I made on an external Western Digital 160 gb drive hooked up to the laptop by USB.

1). I forgot to make a Rescue Disk when I first installed and ran TI 10.
    2). Twice now, on restoring the .TIB file from the external drive, the Resore Process froze on Step 2 "Restoring the Partition". The first time I just went thru the Wizard and didn't change anything. It listed the Restore time as 2 hours and went no further than Step 2. I then Reinstalled Xp and some Drivers, and the True Image Program, and when I tried Restoring, I changed the Priority to High, and I checked the Box to Validate the Image. The Restore time was now 40 minutes, but it still froze on Step 2.

I figure that I have done something stupid, or I have omitted doing something.
    I have the TIB Image on the external drive, and I copied that File to a Desktop Computer.

Hopefully someone can tell me how to successfully Restore my image. I am right now Re-installing XP again on the Laptop. I am hoping to not have to return the Laptop to Dell and start all over again. After all, one way or another, I am going to have to learn how to work TI 10. I have used TI 8 for two years successfully.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

How were you trying to restore it before? You have to have a TI rescue CD.

After you reinstall XP, reinstall Ti 10 next in order to make the rescue CD. Then use the cd to boot and restore the image you previously made. It will, of course, wipe out XP and Ti 10, but they should both be on the restored image.

3. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

Yes, I tried to restore without the CD Recue Disc. This Time (my third), I will redownload TI, and create the Rescue Disc, and then I will hook up the trusty external Drive. In Fact, I think I am supposed to have the external drive already hooked and running before I insert the Rescue Disc?

4. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

quick questions : I did create a rescue disk. When I did, acronis gave me two options. 1. CD.DVD or 2. ISO. I chose the CD/DVD option. I then booted using the Rescue CD, and I was faced with using the Safe Mode or Home Mode. I chose Home and I am currently waiting for Acronics to load, while it states it is disabling an ata2 port.

Should I have made an ISO Disc?
    Should I choose Safe Mode ?

5. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

I chose Safe Mode, muddled my way thru, and after two hours, the Restore was successful.

I will search for reasons why the restore took two hours. If anyone has a link to information on restoring a laptop sata drive from an external ide drive in a wuicker manner, I'd be thankful.

On my desktop PC w/ TI 8, I can restore from a secondary sata drive to the primary sata drive in 15 minutes. btw : the desktop image is 24 gb, the laptop image is 20gb.

6. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You could build a BartPE disk Begginer's Guide to Creating a BartPE CD. BartPE uses windows drivers not the linux drivers that the Rescue CD uses. Performance will improve significantly.

7. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

DwNdrty : I almost forgot to say Thank You for your Help. Your suggestiion worked. THANKS.

thomasjk : thanks for the suggestion on the BartPE. I had read about that previously, but never considered doing it 'till now, The True Image 8.0 I have running on my desktop and a laptop has worked very quickly for me. Probably because the desktop's TI Image resides on a second internal Sata drive, and I have never had to restore the laptop's Image that is on an external drive.

8. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I use the Rescue CD for all my True Image procedures and I also always do full backups. "Don't leave home without it". :D

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Contact TEch Support and see if they can't get ATI to work for you. You can go the BARTPE route, which is basically doing a workaround the program failure, but at least register with Tech Support that you couldn't get the program to work corectly on your machine. Otherwise, imo, jumping to BartPE is bascially letting ATI off the hook for program faults.

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

True and I hope everybody pays close attention to this! Might be a bit charitable, but I think that TI would sooner hear about the problems than just have everybody grumbling with their BartPE disks.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rxtian,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Churkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.