I can't get a succesful DVD image...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BTQ, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTQ

BTQ Registered Member

And it looks as though this issue is quite common with Acronis True Image. I wish I had known this prior to purchasing the software, but it received excellent reviews and I have been quite pleased with Disk Director, so I thought TI would be good purchase.

Anyway, enough complaining...here's the issue:
    I have attempted to make an image of a fresh XP SP2 install using TI. I have formatted a DVD+RW using Roxio 7's Drag-to-Disc feature. I started TI the process noticed that the session time went from a hour and thirty nine minutes to completion to over two hours. No problem, I'll go visit friends for a few hours.
    I got back only to see the time-to-completion is now seven hours.
    Not good. I cancelled the operation and had to reboot the system.
    My question is this: does Acronis True Image work with DVD's or not? It claims to but the 'net is replete with people having problems with TI and DVD's.
    I'm using a Plextor 710A and Memorex discs. Any help on this would be appreciated as I don't think I can return a software download to NewEgg for a refund...

2. BTQ

BTQ Registered Member

And now when I attempt to start the project again I get the "sorry, but TI has encountered an error and has to close" message.

My, but this is very fussy software...

3. BTQ

BTQ Registered Member

OK..using "the 2-part method" I got Roxio to burn the disc after using Acronis to make the image to another partition, then I had Acronis verify the backup disk.
    Seems rather silly and overly complicated to me, especially in light of Roxio's 7.5 version which now includes disk backup as part of the suite.

Yo, Acronis, here's what I wanted to do: make an image of C: and burn it to disk and allow me to use it as a bootable disk.
    Strange that I couldn't do that with 8.0. I mean, what's the point of 8.0 if I can't do what I just described without using third-party disk burning software?

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

This thread has instructions for a couple methods of how to create a bootable DVD that contains the Acronis Images.

I always image to intermediate storage (RAID 5 NAS box) and then occasionally offload that to DVD just to be paranoid. I've never had the urge to image directly to DVD, so I can't comment on that functionality.

5. BTQ

BTQ Registered Member

Thanks, w. Much obliged.

6. padma

padma Guest

Create TI split-image files to your HD first, with max split-image size set at 2.0 GB. (max single file size limitation is 2.0 GB for DVD+/-RW media!!!). Then format DVD+/-RW media with Roxio or Nero and drag each 2.0 GB TI file to individual DVD+/-RW discs. Bingo! It works!

The problem of course is an overwhelming number of DVD's (7 for my 17.1 GB
    "C" drive using standard compression) for a removable media type backup. The real problem with not being able to create a full size (4.37GB) TI file to DVD+/-R media lies with the present state of developement with Acronis True Image. This was not a problem for me using Norton Ghost 9.0, but Ghost has a host of other problems that lends itself worse-off than Acronis True Image.

Let's face it! Backup technology using "snap-shot imaging" still has a way to go. I've been throught the mill, all the way from back in the days of Power Quest's Drive Image 3.0, through Ghost, and now True Image. They all have their weaknesses. I'm still waiting for the breakthrough!

7. mhtaylor

mhtaylor Registered Member

8. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

mhtaylor:
    Compare the MD5 of the image on your hard drive to that on a DVD. If it doesn't match, then there is probably something seriously wrong with your burner.

You can use a utility like md5summer.

9. mhtaylor

Thankyou, wdormann.
    I've aready done MD5, CRC32 and SHA-1 checksums using the program XCSC. The comparison shows perfectly matching results.
    I have a thread going currently "DVD images no good" which appears to almost have run its race. None of (the much appreciated) assistance has solved the problem.
    There is only one post that I haven't yet implemented - the one about using md5 from a Knoppix program. I've ordered a Knoppix CD, it should arrive in the next day or two.
    In reading all the problems that others are having with ATI, I suppose I should be happy that I can at least image to a partition & restore from that.
    It is just very irksome that ATI won't do as it claims re imaging to DVDs.
    If you have a chance to peruse the thread you'll see that I've had some excellent assistance from MiniMax, Menorcaman, storage_man and jmk94903.
    Before using Wilders I had a lengthy email correspondence with Acronis support, all to no avail.
    I would greatly appreciate any further help!
    Kind regards,
    Malcolm

10. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

What I do is write the .tib files in CD 700 MB size chunks to another partition, then burn 6 of those to a DVD.

Have not had a problem boing it that way.

11. mhtaylor

Thanks mrtee.
    This is what I have been doing with the exceptiom that the size of my files were 2.00GB each.
    I wonder if making them smaller would achieve anythingo_O
    Regards,
    Malcolm

12. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

Try it, it works for me.

You have nothing to lose, and you can get 4.2 GB on a DVD instead of 4 GB.

In addition, if you keep the .tib files on the partition and derfag it, it's easier and faster to move 3-700 MB files as opposed to a 2,000 MB (2 GB) file.

13. mhtaylor

Will give it a go!
    Thanks.
    Malcolm

14. MIRROR

MIRROR Registered Member

I wasted several hours and days in exactly the same fashion. This stinks!
    Acronis advertises to be capable to writing to cd media directly, does it not state as much? Nothing but ERRORS!! and incomplete service!

Thats NOT exactly how we should have to approach doing our backups IF the program is supposed to be designed to relief our own CD writing software of that duty.

Now, before anyone gets in a wad over these remarks, yes it sounds like a heavy complaint of frustration and that it is, but in retrospect, True Image CAN deliver surely on ALL it advertises that it is supposed to do, and most of us have no beef if that can finally be made possible for us.

Thanks.

15. mrtee

mrtee Registered Member

I can write directly to CDs on my machine, but I find that it is easier and faster to transfer from HDD to CD or DVD.

16. mhtaylor

Taking mrtee's advice I've "successfully created" a backup image to a partition with a 700MB split. It resulted in 13 files! The image was verified OK by ATI.
    I shall now burn them to DVDs using Roxio & then verify the DVD-image. It is during this verifn that I've always had errors found before.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed & report back when it's finished.
    Malcolm

17. mhtaylor

Well, I thank you very much indeed, mrtee! My DVD-image was verified successfully by ATI - HOORAY! This is the first time that any of my (many) DVD images have been verified OK. It took ATI 3.75 hours to do it though!

I then decided to properly test the DVDs by restoring my C:drive from them.
    My joy was short-lived when soon after the process began I got an "error opening file" message with options to Cancel or Retry to proceed with restoring. I chose to ignore the error message & proceed.

Soon after I was asked for the 2nd DVD of my image I got the same error message again! And again I ignored it, pressed Retry & continued on. All proceeded OK & I got the "Image was successfully restored" message.
    And indeed it was - I rebooted & Lo and Behold everything was OK.

At first I thought "Yes, mrtee's idea of using 700MB files instead of the 2.00GB files I was using before, was what enabled my success. However, I read (in this thread was it?) someone saying that the error message I described is a known bug in version 8-826. A KNOWN BUG for crying out loud!!! And I've gone through over two months of assistance firstly from Acronis support & then from this and another thread in this forum!

Since I don't mind putting hours into something if it comes to satisfaction at the end, I now intend to go back over the verifying of my earlier 2.00GB-file DVD images & see if they'll restore OK, ignoring the verification errors that Acronis says they have.
    Oh well, into the deep again .....
    Malcolm

18. mhtaylor

Hi!

Sure enough, I used an earlier DVD-image (one with errors acc to Acronis' verification) to delete & then restore my C:drive. This makes me feel both better about ATI and angrier with it & Acronis support!
    Regards,
    Malcolm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.