I believe Java installed yahoo toolbar after opting out

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Aug 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Acronis True image failed to recover my parents computer so I had to start over installing all updates for their computer. I just updated Java, and it offered to install a toolbar and change my browser default search engine. I opted out of this by unticking both boxes during the installation. After it completed the installation they now have Yahoo toolbar installed on Internet Explorer with all it's crap, and bloatware. I believe Java is the culprit because I just checked internet explorer just before installing it. I opted out of installing the toolbar, and changing my search engine when installing java. I'm pretty pissed because this is the second time in 4 days I have had to start over updating, and reinstalling everything just to get a bunch of bloatware installed. I could not figure out were it was coming from, but now I believe it was java. Can someone confirm that its yahoo toolbar that Java offers as an optional install? I may just completely uninstall java, and reinstall it again to see if yahoo toolbar gets installed again.

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Java installing a toolbar ? That's the 1st i've heard of it ! Usually it's fake Java updates that do things like that, & worse.

Do you have the update link you used, so we can check/test etc ?

3. Cutting_Edgetech

I didn't update it from a link. Java came installed on the computer, and when I set it back to it's factory image it automatically checked for java updates. I know java use to offer a toolbar that you could opt out of. It offered me an optional install this time during the update which I believe was a toolbar. It also offered to change my search engine. I just unticked both like I always do. If it was not java then HP's crapware would be at fault because the only other updates I have made so far was security patches for Windows Vista.

I uninstalled the toolbar, and I also uninstalled Java. I'm going to reinstall java to see if I end back up with the toolbar again.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm still waiting for some more security patches to install before reinstalling java. They have had this computer since the first year that Windows Vista was released. So the version of java that came installed on it was very old. I just updated their laptop, and the only optional software that it offered me to install was the McAfee Security Scan which I never install. As soon as these security patches finish installing I will install java again. I don't believe it will do it this time even if Java caused it the first time. HP could very well be at fault though instead of java, but during the update java offered me a toolbar, and to change my search engine. I just unticked them both thinking they would not be installed. Maybe java did not install them, but it sure seemed as though java did since the toolbar was not there until after I installed java.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

CE, I dont think it was Java. I just ran the Java installer twice in a sandbox and nothing gets bundled. Get the offline installer. I know the Bing toolbar comes with HP computers but I never seem the Yahoo toolbar come with a new HP.

http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Bo

6. Cutting_Edgetech

I just reinstalled Java, and the only optional install it gave me this time was the McAfee Security Scan. I'm not sure why it offered other optional installs earlier. The java that came installed on it was probably 8 years old so I updated from an 8 year old version of Java. Not sure that had anything to do with it. This HP computer came with some other Yahoo promotions. It even has a yahoo desktop search on it that is like Google desktop. If HP installed the toolbar while updating some of its software in the background then that is pretty dirty. I'm glad I build all my own machines so I don't deal with all the crapware / bloatware that comes with almost every major brand. They make money from the third party distributors for allowing them to install their bloat ware, and then they make money from the consumer. I'm going to build them a computer soon so they have less problems to deal with. Most major brand names only care about profit, and don't care much about quality anymore. That is if they ever did.

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks for checking. I just reinstalled java, and it did not offer me anything other than McAfee Security Scan this time. It could have had something to do with updating from an 8 year older version of java that came installed with the computer.

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

It could be that or HP. Now that you mention "Yahoo promotions":eek:, I think my XP did come with some Yahoo stuff. The toolbar might of come with it but I cant really remember.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.