I am not able to ping

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Smartdevil, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smartdevil

Smartdevil Registered Member

Hi
    I have installed LNS with phantom rules for around 2-3 days now & i just noticed (While using emule ) that i am not able to ping anything. I went to command prompt & tried to ping www.yahoo.com & other website but nothing.. Can anyone please suggest what the problem might be ?

Thanks
    Sd

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey Smartdevil

There should be two rules that are disabled by default, they are "ICMP : Ping other (Req)" & "ICMP : Ping other (Rsp)", enable them like you did for DNS rule and you'll be set for pinging...
    :)

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

How and why does one ping a site or other computer?

Jerry

4. Smartdevil

Smartdevil Registered Member

Thansk Phant0m :)
    I really appriciate your help....

5. KoshB5

KoshB5 Guest

I tried to use eMule with USS (Upload Speed Sense) which needs to ping. I guess that's what Smartdevil was talking about. But enabeling the two mentioned rules didn't work for me. Pinging works, but USS in eMule doesn't seem to work. Has anyone used USS with Phantom rules and can help here?
    Thanks in advance!

6. Phant0m

ICMP Ping is used for different reasons, mainly to check a remote host for availability and determine if the remote host’s connection is healthy.

There is also some other noble common purposes for using ICMP, for instance some peoples connections gets messed, you would use ICMP to help determine if connection still exists and messed up by an infection of some sort or removal process.

7. Phant0m

No problem Smartdevil...

But I was puzzled why Emule uses PING, and I know many popular P2P software I use don’t use ping for remote host’s availability, I were thinking you mistaken error codes for PINGs. But after reading KoshB5’s post I finally understand fully, there isn’t a problem with Emula sending PING request and getting a reply but a problem being pinged and sending PING reply.

8. Phant0m

This I believe In addition to the default ICMP rules will make "Upload Speed Sense" function properly for both ends?

Attached Files:

9. Phant0m

And....

Attached Files:

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Phant0m,

Thanks. It seems like something that the average person would not do. I would not even know how to do it. I suppose it is for a network or something like that.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.