I am new here and have a question about TrueCrypt...

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by hhisc29926, Dec 2, 2015.

1. hhisc29926

hhisc29926 Registered Member

Hello, everyone, thank you for reading my post!. I just created an account because I desperately need help. I am new to this site and did not know where to post (it even took me quite a long time to find a way to create a thread), so, please excuse me if I posted it in the wrong place.

I have a problem and will try to describe it, my explanation will probably not be so clear to you, but if you are patient and ask key questions, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge. I know some things about computers, but I am not a technician, and if I knew very much I would probably not be asking, so, please understand that. And please try to answer with plain English, as English is not even my first language. I have used computers for almost thirty years now, and know a few things, but am not used to TrueCrypt vocabulary. I am the one who needs help, I know, but I am begging you to communicate your help in a way that I can understand, thank you. Of course, I have already used Google a lot regarding this issue, and one of the best things that it did for me was letting me know of the existence of this wonderful forum. Well, that was a long introduction, please forgive me, I just wish to be kind and expect the same in return.

Now, going to the subject: I have a Seagate Expansion Desk USB 4-terabytes external hard drive (loosely) connected to the computer. Because the cable connects loosely to the hard disk and to the computer (cheap model) (I am considering to tape both ends, as my last resource), it gets disconnected often (my fault, I know). Because of that, now the hard disk changed from NTFS (I think it was NTFS) to RAW, and the computer does not recognze it (among other things, it reads that I have to format it). I have Windows 7, 64-bit, and the drive is encrypted with TrueCrypt. I definitely believe that the data in the disk is in perfect condition, but I can not access the disk (but I can mount it with TrueCrypt, it is just that Windos Explorer will not open it). I do not know if becuase the drive is encrypted with TrueCrypt, I need to do someting different than if it was not encrypted, but in any case, I need to recover my data (I have already used Chkdsk, Testdisk and Data Recovery Wizard to no avail). I know that I probably have not provided enough information (because I do not know what else to write), but please ask and I will provide it to the best of my knowledge.

Thank you very much for your time and help, I really appreciate them.

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Hello,

Have you tried reversing the encryption process (de-crypting)?

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

TrueCrypt ONLY provides for system disk decryption. There is no decryption for archival volumes at all.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.