I am Having An Urgent Problem with Truecrypt's Rescue Disk

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by Please Help Me, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please Help Me

Please Help Me Registered Member

I haven't yet created a truecrypt rescue disk for my computer's full-disk encryption (Hidden Operating Systems) and yet today when I tried to boot my Hidden OS, even though I typed in the correct password, I couldn't get access to my TrueCrypt Hidden OS. Is there a way I can create a Truecrypt Rescue Disk so that I can access the contents of the Hidden OS even though I haven't created a Rescue Disk for it yet? I only wished I created a Rescue Disk yesterday when in fact I was going to create one today, but now I cannot even get access to my Hidden OS (I haven't yet created my Decoy OS yet). So is there a way I can create a Truecrypt Rescue Disk from another computer so that I can restore the damaged Keyfiles for my computer's Hidden OS? I need to get access to the Hidden OS ASAP because I only have one computer to work from, and I am currently using a public computer to make this urgent post. Anyways, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Now I have an encrypted computer that I cannot boot its Hidden OS up (and the Decoy OS hasn't even been set up yet).

Please I need help ASAP (as my username suggests lol).

2. Please Help Me

Another question is? How did my TC Hidden OS's keyfiles and master keys get damaged in the first place? IIRC, yesterday on my Hidden OS, I created a TC Hidden Volume folder on my Windows 7 Desktop, downloaded a few videos from Youtube, and moved the TC files into a folder called "Truecrypt Stuff". I am not sure how that would damage my Hidden OS in such a way that I can no longer access it. And if I actually forgot my password for the Hidden OS (which I doubt since I was able to access my Hidden OS 5 times during the past 2 days), how would I change my password from the TC Bootloader before the Hidden OS even loads up?

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

This thread should have been started in the Privacy Problems forum, but ok:

I assume the bootloader is working but your password is not being accepted? Yes, one possibility is a damaged header.

You don't need the rescue disk to repair the header of a hidden volume that contains a hidden operating system. Rather, open TrueCrypt, click on "Select Device", select the partition that contains the hidden OS, click OK, open the "Tools" menu, choose "Restore Volume Header", then select "Restore the volume header from the backup embedded in the volume" and follow the rest of on-screen instructions.

If that doesn't work then you are most likely providing the wrong passsword, or alternatively both headers might have been damaged (although from what you're describing, I don't see how).

Of course, you need a running OS that has TC installed on it in order to perform this operation. Either slave your drive to another PC, boot from a LiveCD that has TC on it, or install the so-called decoy OS and use that.
    You can't reset the password unless you already having a working password, so that's out.

4. Please Help Me

I just reformatted by laptop back to its factory settings. That solved everything.

5. Please Help Me

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll try it out when I have the time to see if it works. If it doesn't, I will have more questions for you. As for now, thank you very, very much.

6. Please Help Me

What if I reformat the D Drive which contains the Hidden OS so that I recreate a Hidden OS on my computer? Does that also work?

7. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

You will have to go through the process again. Install OS to C:\ - Install TC and use Hidden option - TC clones C:\ to D:\ - Then wipes C:\. Reinstall OS again, to C:\ and encrypt (or not if you run an external boot loader and want the decoy 'in the clear'). Of course, you'll lose everything with the re-format.

PD

8. Please Help Me

It is a complete pain in the ass recreating my entire TC Hidden OS, but hey on the bright side I have all the time in the world do to it during my Xmas break.

9. dantz

dantz Registered Member

You said this earlier:
    Solved how?

And what happened to you, anyway? Is it possible that you forgot your password? (There are three passwords to keep track of when you have a hidden OS, and users sometimes mix them up.)

Anyway, better luck next time. Follow the steps carefully and don't skip anything. I also suggest you temporarily write down your passwords.

10. Please Help Me

No I wrote down the passwords so I seriously doubt forgetting/mistyping the passwords was the problem. Instead I think it has everything to do with the hidden OS getting damaged and thus becoming un-bootable. I think the #1 thing I must do when I recreate a hidden OS would be to not forget to make a Recovery Disk.

I apologize for this mistake: I actually didn't reformat my entire HDD. Instead I just booted up a back-up copy of my laptop's factory-setting, Windows 7 OS from the pre-boot mode. Thank god there was a back up Windows 7 which is where I am working from right now.

11. tru3crypt

tru3crypt Registered Member

Hidden Operating System Issue

I cann't figure out. i am a new to true crypt. I followed the exact procedure as mentioned in the official site. But i don't know it's an issue or not but when i tried booting into the Hidden OS by using the password for the same, It Says (Booting...) and thats all...initially i thought it might take some time but now i am getting irritated...I am unable to boot my hidden OS..A. I tried recovering True Crypt's Bootloader..But doesn't make any difference..Same Issue....Any help is appreciated... ThanX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.