I am a beginner: Tell me - how to use Shadow Defender

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ocsi, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

I am a beginner, please:Tell me - how to use Shadow Defender (ex.: how to save as good updates for security program for example?).

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

The idea behind virtualization applications, like Shadow Defender, is that user will not need to rely on security application that need constant updating, like anti malware products. All you need to do is enter Shadow mode when you know you're system is clean. Then if you make changes that might have been unintentional just reboot to get it back to the original state. If you want to apply system updates, for example, you'd need to exit shadow mode first, then install them, and then re-enable shadow mode. Remember, you can exclude a directory/file from shadow mode, meaning that whatever happens in that directory will be saved regardless of mode. But, you should use folders that you frequently and intentionally change as excluded.

3. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

How esclude as security software (exempl. update)?

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

As a general rule, I wouldn't. You'd need to exit shadow mode, update, and the re-enter it. But like I said, the idea behind virtualization applications, like Shadow Defender, is that user will not need to rely on security application that need constant updating, like anti malware products. Meaning, you don't need them.

So, what product are you talking about?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  5. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

For exemple: antivirus, firewall, windows os etc

6. crapbag

crapbag Registered Member

:thumb: I've only recently started using SD and haven't set up any kind of exclusions. Only using on-demand scanners. Clean the hell out of your machine and enter Shadow Mode. If you need to update Windows or other programs just exit Shadow Mode, install, clean the hell out of your machine and re-enter Shadow Mode.

I understand it's all about layers though, so if you must keep your real-time AV I'm sure someone here can help you allow it to update. In theory it should still update anyway but will revert to whatever date it was when you froze the system upon reboot.

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Program and system updates frequently involve changes to the registry as well as the file system. Registry changes cannot be applied selectively using Shadow Defender so it would then be necessary to save all changes that have occurred while in Shadow Mode, which defeats the purpose of the virtualisation.

A good way to apply program and system updates is to have a regular maintenance slot where you take the system out of Shadow Mode, apply the updates, and then enter Shadow Mode again when done.

8. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

OK. Thank you all.

9. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

I'm back. This program is OK for me. Now I use: Avast 6 Free + ZoneAlarm Free + Shadow Defender + Sandboxie (I do not know if it is necessary, but ... o_O ).
    Thanks again for your advice.

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You have a good combination there. :)

11. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

I'm back, again. When leaving "Shadow Mod" (Restart PC or Turn Off + Start PC) change the settings of the Taskbar.
    These changes:
    - disables the Show Quick Launch
    and
    - Cusitomize Notifications: icons set "hidden" - become visible
    Why is this happening? What I to do?

12. ocsi

ocsi Registered Member

Is so complicated to give an answer? There are no answers to the question presented? It is something special? Finally ... I'm still waiting for response. Not the other, but I want to use the program (which is currently uninstalled).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.