I accidently deleted Dell's Recovery Partition. How to get it back?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Tru_Snoop, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hey guys;

As you may have guessed from the title, I have Dell Inpiron 6000. It had Windows XP Home installed, and was equiped with "Restore System" (by pressing Ctrl + F11, you could restore your system). No CD included. I was trying to install Linux OS, It was Fedora Core 5.0. I asked linux OS to resize the partition automatically. It installed without any problem, but then I couldn't access to my windows XP. Everytime I try to access, some "Hardware Diagonsis" program showed up. So no matter I did, I couldn't access windows XP. I tried to press "Ctrl + F11" at the Dell screen, but it didn't work. I tried several times, but didn't work. So I finally gave up and reformattd the drive and installed Windows XP Pro, Operating system. I installed all the Dell driver after that. However, as I said I think I accidently deleted Dell's Recovery partition.

Is there any way to get that back? I would like to get my original Windows OS back.

Any help would be apriciated. Thank you so much.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

with no disc and the restore partition gone you are more than likely out of luck as far as getting the original os back.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tru_Snoop

I would add to what bigc73542 said, with that you will need some very good recovery [read expensive] tools because of your reformatting of the HDD.

If you ever alter the main C:\ Partition in to two Partitions again on a Dell, which will automatically [as you found out] stop the restore keys Ctrl + F11 from working.

To get the Restore Keys back the main C:\ Partition must be returned to it original size.

Some very good info on Dell Partitions:- Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. bigc73542

But he already reformated the Hdd and installed another version of windows, XP Pro so the restore partition is gone.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2006
  5. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Tru_Snoop,
    If Dell sent the actual Windows XP CD with your system and I were you, I would blast any and all separate partitions off the HD and siimply install Windows XP onto the system with a single partition. Rather than relying on that Dell crap, I would use a quality imaging program like Acronis or Image for Windows to create an image of my system once it is set up properly. If you do that, I think that you will be happier, certainly safer. That is what I did with my girlfriend's Dell straight out of the box. She loves it!!! I will too if I ever have to restore the system.

6. TheQuest

Hi, bigc73542

I know :eek:, as I said in my first paragraph.

But was trying to say if in future he had the misfortune to do the same, not to reformat first then ask How to fix it.

Take Care,

7. TheQuest

Hi, dallen

Right 100%. :D

Take Care,

8. bigc73542

:thumb: :thumb:

9. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You can't get the restore partition back anymore I'm afraid. But that dosen't matter at all. The computer can still work without some Dell recovery program.
    Just set the system up like a custom built one without the manufacturer's crap tools.
    Kinda interesting to experiment around with it, you can have more freedom actually without the dell recovery partition.
    Since now you installed xp pro, you can maybe try creating another partition for another OS. Like 1 partiton xp pro, 2nd partition for linux... 3rd partition for vista but look at the hd space available.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi! I will jsut add the recovery partiotioon is just a backup that now u have in the form of XP CD itself( the one u installed). Drivers etc can be downloaded from Dell site.
    So u don,t even need that partition.

11. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Tru_Snoop,
    Do not worry. I did this with my girlfriend's Dell and it works better without the Dell Crapware than it did with it. If you run into any issues feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you get through this. Trust me, you will come out of this feeling better.;)

12. Tru_Snoop

Tru_Snoop Registered Member

Hey guys;

Thank you so much for your help and information. I finally called Dell. They were really helpful. The person I spoke to will be sending all the required CDs in the mail.

I didn't even have to beg for it. Lol.

Thanks guys.
    cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.