hxxp://www.qksrv.net

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Converse, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Converse

Converse Registered Member

I need some help with this. I keep going to shopping sites, but the links keep leading me to bogus qksrv pages. I've searched around, but only found pages saying that Pest Patrol deletes it. Any one know what I can do?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2004
  2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Also since this is adware i'll move your thread over to Privacy Problems for better attention.

snowbound

4. NYScott

NYScott Registered Member

I don't know if this is really considered Adware or Spyware. Granted, it is a URL redirect & it does place a cookie, but it's not doing anything malicious, and the cookies do expire--often at the end of your session. The qksrv.net links of which you speak more than likely are not 'bogus sites' as you state; they're just re-directs to the actual site.

I despiseAdware/Spyware, and use Wilders, AdAware, Spybot, Hijack This, Major Geeks, etc., etc., to prevent & delete that garbage, on my computers & others', but I also participate in affiliate marketing (as do any of you who use Google's AdSense or AdWords, among others). If you want to get your commission, the 'seller' has to know the 'buyer' came via your link, obviously, and that's what the qksrv.net link does.

Those of us who run our own websites (especially non-commercial sites) need to make a few bucks in order to keep our sites going, and these affiliate marketing programs help. When you see qksrv, or bfast, or cj, in a URL redirect, it's just an affiliate link. Allow or disallow the cookie--it's up to you of course, but keep in mind that some webmasters/site owners are regular working-class people who spend their own time & money to keep your favorite sites online. If you like their sites, and found an interesting item linked therein, why not let them make a *tiny* percentage from your purchase? They provide a service to you, at no cost to you, and using their link to buy a product doesn't cost you a cent. Also, when you go out & buy anything through a salesperson, they're making a commission from your purchase, and this is no different (other than the percentages!).

Personally, my use of affiliate marketing is extremely low key; I don't SPAM, I don't throw ads all over my sites, and I only link to scrupulous vendors, usually from whom I've made purchases myself. Hell, I don't even advertise my sites when I post Q&A's, like this one... ;)

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to any replies,
    Scott

BY THE WAY:
    Commission Junction (CJ) posts this page explaining the qksrv.net links.
    http://www.cj.com/qksrv.jsp (no, I don't make any money from this link!) :)

Alternatively, you could just type qksrv.net, and you'll go to the same page.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.