hw do I back up

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by joanelaine, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joanelaine

joanelaine Registered Member

I am having a terrible time trying to understand Paragon back up. I have the free verson. I clicked on back up dick or partition and so far I have used 4 DVD's, it's still going and has taken a couple of hours. Is this normal?. I am running Windows XP Home, SP3. I am on my desktop computer at the moment and trying to back up my laptop. Also, the file system is FAT on laptop and NTFS on desktop computer does Paragon support both.
    thank you for any advice as I am totally stumped. I created a boot disk I think but it happened so quickly I'm not sure if I did it correctly.
    dorry for being so dumb:oops: .
    Joanelaine.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Joane,

A dvd will only hold 4gb of Paragon backup. If the total size of the backup is large - that is a lot of dvd's. Also, writnig to dvd's is alot slower than to a hard drive.

It depends how much data you are backing up .

Typically , the Paragon image will be about 60% of the used space on the partition you are backing up.

Hope it helps.

3. MaxEntropy

MaxEntropy Registered Member

SIW2 is quite right: it's much faster (and easier) to use another hard drive for your backup. High-capacity portable USB drives are fairly cheap (or you can add a second internal hard drive to a desktop PC).

I use Acronis Disk Director (rather than Paragon) to copy each partition on the 320 GB hard drive in my netbook directly onto an external 320 GB backup disk. If anything goes wrong with the netbook hard drive, the Acronis software (on a bootable USB key) can be used to restore the disk partitions from the backup.

4. joanelaine

joanelaine Registered Member

Thank you for responding, I will have to get an exteranl hard drive. I need one because this computer is only a 40 gig HDD and laptop is 80 Gig., with a partition. Just one other thing though when I put one of the disks in to see what is on it I see icons that I know I can't open as I've seen them before and when I click on it Windows cannot open and says to tell what program created it. What is the point if only 60% of data is saved.
    thank you , I tried to attaxh an icon here to show you but cann't seem to do it.
    joanelaine.

5. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

Don't worry about being able to open the files, Paragon can recognize them even though Windows does not, you will need to use Paragon to see the actual files that have been backed up.

The files are compressed, this is what SIW2 was talking about when he said:

This does NOT mean that only 60% of your data is being backed up, 100% of your data is being backed up to a file that is 60% smaller then the original, because it is compressed.

Hope that clarifies things :)

6. HobbitRock5150

HobbitRock5150 Registered Member

Also, the swapfile and hibernate file are skipped when making the image as I recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.