huge hdd price hikes wow

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zfactor, Oct 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone else notice the price increases yet.... wow i bought 4 samsung 750gb notebook drives on monday and they were 59$ each they are now over 80$ for the same drives and no one has free shipping who used to?? newegg, superbiiz etc all want like 8-10$ for a single drive now... wow this is nuts.. its pretty much across the board every brand every size... this sucks regretting not buying more of them now

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Nope, not a regular shopper. This is very notable though.

4. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

Could be due to the Japanese earthquake and tsunami and the impact on component productiono_O Takes time for that type of thing to filter through.

Or maybe the price of salt for newer hdd r&d has something to do with it lol

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I noticed on a very large hard drive reseller's website that not only have the prices been significantly increased, but a shipping fee of around $8 has been added. Previously, most of the hard drives had free shipping.

A 2.0 TB Samsung 3.5" SATA hard drive was around $80 (free shipping), now the price is about $118 (including shipping). The 1.0 TB WD Black SATA hard drive was around $80 and now it is around $128.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

According to reports, Seagate’s Thailand operations, unlike Western Digital, have survived the disaster relatively unscathed.
    Market Watch story

7. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

More gouging. The market is flush with drives, is why the prices dropped, to sell off inventory. "Flood" is the reason and companies take advantage of it to improve profits.

I'm waiting for 2TB MicroSD cards. Taiwan factories don't have flood problems. :D

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The prices are still climbing! It has been a while since I have checked the prices. The Samsung is now $148 and the Western Digital is now $158.

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah this is NUTS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.