HTTP Switchboard for Chrome/Chromium:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by apathy, Nov 25, 2013.

1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

See Change log for latest changes.

A Chromium browser extension which let you white- or blacklist requests originating from within a web page according to their type and/or destination as per domain name.

Installation

Available on Chrome web store (HTTP Switchboard), or you can install manually.

IMPORTANT

Because of issue #35, it is best to disable javascript by default. To do so:

Go to chrome/chromium Settings.
    You might need to click Show advanced settings.
    In Privacy section, click Content settings... button.
    In the Javascript section, click "Do not allow any site to run JavaScript".
    HTTP Switchboard will continue to disable/enable javascript just as before, according to whether the hostname is black or whitelisted, except that now, since javascript is turned off by default, there is no opportunity for inline scripts to be executed before the asynchronous command (as per chromium API) to disable them takes effect.

Sadly, a side-effect of doing the above steps is that it may happen that inline scripts are not executed the first time you visit a site for which scripts are whitelisted. Forcing a reload of the page fix this.

The only way to resolve this annoyance is for chromium developers to come up with a solution.

screenshot1.png

2. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I hadn't used Chromium in some time but this extension makes me feel much safer using a Google producct. When issue #35 has a fix or workaround I'll be thrilled. It's an annoying issue but other than that there aren't many other difficult bugs that pose a problem. It is amazing how great an extension this is and how quickly it's being developed.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  3. guest

guest Guest

Amusingly, the globally disable javascript by default is only doable with HTTP Switchboard and Script Defender. Other script filtering extensions require you to globally enable javascript by default or nothing will get whitelisted. o_O

4. apathy

apathy Registered Member

That says a lot. I got rid of a lot of privacy related extensions like Ghostery after using Http-SB. I still use Privacy Manager just to disable some of the services that Chrome has. At the breakneck speed that gorhill is developing this extension, it will be at 1.0 soon. He's a great guy and very helpful. This extension needs to be in the spotlight for sure. Ghacks.net did a blog post on it a week or so ago.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I did the same thing, getting rid of Ghostery :)

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I removed Adblock Plus and I'm just using this now.

7. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

I'm using ScriptBlock with Ghostery and Cross Domain Request Filter in Chromium and I've been able to remove AdBlock Plus.

I've got to give HTTP Switchboard another shot though. It's so much more comprehensive.

No problems losing the saved settings anymore?

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

There never were any lost settings, when you click on a domain that is a temporary whitelist or blacklist.
    You must click on the lock icon on the left side to make your settings permanent.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  9. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I can't get the On/Off (nyi?) -option working.
    I am only using it installed inside Sandboxie, but I sort of doubt if installing it to my real Chrome install would make any difference.

Regarding SBIE Start/run restrictions, Chrome does not in normal situations need dllhost.exe allowed to run, but after installing HTTPSB I got a popup. It might have been caused by Skype demanding it, but happened twice after installing HTTPSB. I tested also installing HTTBSB with no HIPS on and still could not get On/Off option working.

10. luxi

luxi Registered Member

Dunno about that... everything resets when I restart Chrome, locked or not.

Either way, I do wish NoScript had the level of control this extension does.

11. wat0114

For it to be locked, the selection must be dark green and an "unlock" icon display when hovering over it...

Attached Files:

12. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx for all the info folks! :thumb:

i'm gonna play with this tomorrow morning when i get off work.

13. luxi

luxi Registered Member

Ah, thank you wat0114.

I assumed an unlocked icon meant the permissions set were temporary. Seems kinda backwards but it works.

14. moontan

do you folks use the Strict Blocking option in the settings?
    ----
    edit:
    i just enabled Strick Blocking.

go big or go home! ;)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  15. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Website for a test:

Immagine.JPG

16. moontan

i'm liking it so far.

this is bloody nice! :thumb:

if Raymond sets up a donation page i'll give him enough for a few beers.
    developers like beers too!:p

17. wat0114

You're welcome! Actually I think it makes sense, because when you click the upper pane to make it go dark green, you'll be presented with the closed lock icon, which of course is then clicked to set the selection to permanent locked.

18. moontan

allright,

i have been testing for a few hours this morning and i'm happy to say it's a keeper.

there is a lot more granularity than NoScript.

it' s a geek's dream!
    especially if you have Strict Blocking enabled. :p

i like the Rule Manager and the matrix GUI is also very good.

bloody well right! :thumb:

19. wat0114

Is there a problem with httpsb or the site? Just fyi I disabled httpsb but I still could not download the codec, although I'm running linux but that shouldn't matter. It seems to be a site problem.

20. Jarmo P

That was a comment from luxi.

At this moment this extension has almost none of the control NoScript has nor any other Chrome script content blockers. I wish the developer keeps continuing though. Without things like this evolving there is not much hope for script privacy with Chrome family browsers

21. moontan

i'm no expert in these things but like i said before, it offers more granularity than NoScript once Strict Blocking is enabled.
    thought NoScript might be better in other aspects.

it is also the best javascript blocker i have tried so far for Chrome.
    it is stable, easy editing of the white/black lists, a good user interface, and it does what it says on the tin.

certainly worth a good try, methink. :thumb:

22. Jarmo P

I today went and filled my unemployment compensation form with ScriptBlock. It was a bother to say the least with the banking recognization procedures etc.
    Had to go back this and that. With NoScript never problems.

If I had used HTTPSB, it had maybe been more easy than with ScriptBlock, but still these script blockers are in their infancy in Chrome. Better to be used as a geek thing. I am just saying. ;)

I knew the site was safe and trusted also where it followed, but the need to allow all is just too much. And that I should be allowed with HTTPSB too if I wanted and used it.

There is nothing like NoScript with Firefox and Chrome browsers at the moment are missing a good script etc blocker.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  23. gorhill

gorhill Guest

24. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

My concern here is that, like NoScript, programs like this aren't solutions to anything. All they are are convoluted and quite annoying workarounds to a much bigger and less easily solved problem that affects the entirety of the web. I mean no disrespect towards the ideals and hard work of the developers nor their creations. But things like this simply aren't an answer and aren't useable for every man, woman and child nor for every situation. Unfortunately I don't believe a real answer can be found given the current state of data equals money.

25. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Block scripts from Google Ajax or from Film-stream.tv

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.