http://notifier.avira.com

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by noway, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noway

noway Registered Member

Avira notifier is back! (Solved)

Sometime after my first boot of the day today I got an IE6SP2 web page pop up for http://notifier.avira.com. I use Antivir Personal. It seemed to be an ad for Avira pay antivirus but I closed the window before getting a screenshot. I use XPSP2 Pro and have long disabled avnotify.exe using Group Policy, so I was surprised to see this happen for the first time ever. Recently I did a program update (not just defs) for Antivir Personal so I wonder if something in the update has changed the notifier? Anyone else who has this avnotify.exe disabled using Group Policy had this popup recently or did I just have a glitch? Also, what events cause avnotify.exe to normally appear. I haven't seen a software restriction policy warning in XPs event viewer for a day or so like I used to frequently.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. noway

noway Registered Member

Avira notifier is back! (Solved)

I guess the avnotify.exe file hash has recently changed. Therefore since my group policy rule to disallow avnotify.exe was a hash rule, I had to delete the old rule and create a new one by browsing to the new file. Now it works as it should and the warnings in the event viewer for software restriction policy are back.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

FYI, you're better off using a path rule rather than a hash rule.... a path rule will never fail, regardless of what they do to the file. I have used it with success in the past.

4. noway

noway Registered Member

Ok, I'll change that. Good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.