HTTP Checking kills web browsing

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by twwabw, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Client has an HP laptop, Vista Home Prem.- came w/Norton. Norton expired, so they uninstalled Norton- all traces appear to be gone. Nod32 AV (av only- not Smart Security) installs normally, but once installed, IE cannot browse any web pages. Network connections are all OK- can ping internal addresses, as well as resolve and ping external web addresses. But no web browsing. If you disable HTTP checking, all works OK again.

Installed both ver 3 & 4- same results. Uninstall, and all works normally again.

Any thoughts on this? There are no spyware apps installed, no other firewall ap[ps, proxies, etc. I am truly stumped here.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, try installing the latest version 4.0.417 from scratch. If it doesn't resolve the issue, export your configuration to an xml file and send it along with a SysInspector log and this thread's url enclosed to support[at]eset.com. A log from Wireshark with the http communication captured would be welcome.

3. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

Did try ver 4 (latest available yesterday-) with the same results. I'll see if the user can run these tests- PC is not at my site.

4. twwabw

twwabw Registered Member

XML and Sysinspector log has been sent to support.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It has to be some kind of conflict with the previously installed Norton, as I have seen this before. Uninstalled Norton from a user's machine, installed NOD32, no Internet. Uninstalled NOD32 again, Internet works. Unfortunately I never did get it working on that machine so I can't tell you how to fix it. I didn't have the time to spend on it. I would be looking to find out what Norton is doing to cause this though. There had to be some leftover something somewhere.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the problem is a previous installation of Norton, Symantec provides a special uninstall tool on their website which will remove all leftovers and the Internet would work fine then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.