HP TouchSmart 300z PC (is this a good PC & deal?)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Birdman, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

I've been wanting to purchase a new desktop PC for a while now and almost purchased a Dell about 6 months ago but decided to hold out until Windows 7 was released.

I customized the HP TouchSmart 300z Pc from Hp's site. Earlier today I saw a display model @ Costco and was really impressed by the look and features/functions of the PC. Also loved the fact that it is very compact and sleek (no tower)!.

Anyhow, here are the specs and the price. I wanted to check here first and get feedback/opinions/advice before I pull the trigger on this deal.

-Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    -AMD Athlon(TM) X3 405e triple-core processor [2.3GHz, 1.5MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]
    -4GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
    -320GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    -Integrated graphics - ATI Radeon HD 3200
    -Slot-load SuperMulti DVD Burner
    -Wireless-N LAN card
    -6-in-1 memory card reader, 5 total USB, audio
    -No TV Tuner
    -Integrated high-performance 2.0 speakers always included (No external speakers)
    -HP low-profile, wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse
    -Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    -No additional security software
    -HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Price after Rebate + Coupon = $930.97 w/ FREE shipping

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Go here select the "base config" and customize it yourself. ;)

Panagiotis

3. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

If anything, you will be disappointed with the graphics. That graphics card is most commonly used in laptops, and has been superseded.

But of course, your usage of the graphics card will impact your perception. Gaming? No. Not even Halo CE at >1440*900 with effects on high.

4. Birdman

Integrated graphics - NVIDIA GeForce G200

Is this a better Graphics Card?

5. TechOutsider

Well, yes, but remember this is a all-in-one PC with relatively poor ventaliation.

But of course, what are you using the PC for? The HD 3200 is good enough for most tasks except for serious PC gaming :) :) :).

6. Birdman

Thanks TechOutsider. One last question....which processor is better:

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor P7450 [2.13GHz, 3MB L2, 1066 FSB]

or

AMD Athlon(TM) X4 600e quad-core processor [2.2GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MT/s bus]

7. TechOutsider

I would probably get the Intel beuase it has a 25 watt TDP versus 45 watts for the Athlon, although a quad-core with a 45 watt rating is impressive. The last energy-efficent quad-core from AMD ran at 65 watts and ran at 1.8 GHz. And there probably is a reason why HP offered a laptop processor (the P7450) as an option.

Performance-wise, the Athlon will be faster because it has more cores (2 more) and uses the Phenom II architecture (45 nm, K10). Although for most tasks you probably won't mind the performance difference.

Good luck on your purchase!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.