HP scan software alternative

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rpsgc, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Hello,

I've recently purchased a HP C4480 All-in-One printer and, as we all know, HP's software is nothing but a big bloated and buggy piece of .... well, you get the picture. I managed to find a "minimal" driver package from HP but that doesn't include a scanning utility and since I'm using Vista HP (Windows Fax & Scan is only available in Business and Ultimate) I'm SOL.

I have to scan through Paint.NET or Windows Photo Gallery but that's not as easy as pressing a button to scan now is it? And they don't have OCR either.

So, can you help me?

2. axial

axial Registered Member

Good question, rpsgc -- I share your problem. We had constant crashes with the HP monitoring s/w causing system lockups, and it took a lot of digging to find the "minimal" driver package so that we could get back to printing reliably on our HP 7780.

3. ramoncin

ramoncin Registered Member

Yes I had the same problem, and quite one since I had to use the AllinOne with my underpowered netbook.
    My recommendation is Vuescan.

4. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Yes, but that one isn't free.

5. ramoncin

I'm on XP and I find that the included Camera and Scanner Assistant works fine.
    I then use DoPDF freeware to produce PDFs.

6. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

That'd end up as being the same as using any other imaging software to scan. No automation. The bloody Fax & Scan utility is not available in Home Premium.

7. ramoncin

This thread might be interesting to you:
    http://www.donationcoder.com/Forums/bb/index.php?topic=13533.0
    There are a number of free scanner applications (quite a few require NET framework).
    I would be curious to try XNview (no scanner at hand) since I just noticed it supports both TWAIN and WIA. (for whatever reason the TWAIN freebies I did try failed to work on my setup)
    Please post back your experiences ;-)

8. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Thanks for the link.

Interesting... I installed SimpleOCR, it worked OK. But what I found that was that I already had HP scanning utility installed o_O It loaded up and scanned the document when I ran SimpleOCR. That raises another question though.

In Vista's Scanners and Cameras assistant, when I click Properties of my AIO and go to Events it has no program registered to the 'Scan button press' event and I can't choose any. It defaults to No Action.

That's really stupid. I'll have to look into that.

9. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

False alarm. The utility scans and has all sorts of tools but when I try to save the scanned image it gives me an error asking me to reinstall HP Photosmart suite. Great :rolleyes:
    I'll go back to Windows Photo Gallery then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.