HP Is Back: Should It Rename Itself Compaq?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Jul 17, 2017.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By Rob Enderle Jul 17, 2017

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I might be getting something wrong, but in this part of the world, HP still sells laptops under the Compaq name, mostly low end models.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

HP-Compaq was their line of business PC's. Rock solid and reliable.

4. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Their consumer laptops were cheaply made junk. I paid $1100 for one in 2005.
    I had a problem with it, their online support couldn't fix it they asked me to send it to their service center for their 48hr turnaround service so I did. Big mistake.
    2 weeks later I still did not receive it back.
    I gave it another week still nothing so I called them.
    They told me its fixed and ready to be shipped out tommorow.
    2 more weeks still no laptop.
    I called them again they said they made a mistake it wasn't ready last time but now it is and I should receive it in 2-3 days.
    2 more weeks went by, I called them again, the lady was apologetic and promised she would deal with it herself and personally make sure it goes on the FedEx pickup the next day.
    2 more weeks went by still nothing. They were lying to me every time.
    So I called them. This time a man answered. I went off on this guy like you wouldn't believe I won't even post here what I threatened to do, I said I dare you to lie to me one more ***** time!!
    So a few days later I received a package from them which did not even contain my laptop. It was an obviously used, scratched up cheaper, older model with my hardrive in it.
    Within a year from then the plastic around the hinges had separated and split so bad the screen flapped around loosely when opened and the closing latch would jam every time it was closed. I eventually bought one with a broken screen on EBay and used parts off both to fix it but within a year or so the same thing happened to the hinges.
    In 2007 I bought a Dell Inspiron laptop nearly $500 cheaper than the HP. That Dell is now 10 years old, rarely had a problem with it, the case still looks and works like new.
    Needless to say, I never bought another HP product and I never will.

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Their business PC's are high quality. They're more expensive than their consumer PCs. For what you're getting when you run a business,
    it easily justifies the premium difference.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My last two laptops have been HP ProBooks and the build quality is excellent. My next laptop will probably be another ProBook or EliteBook.
    Not only is the quality very high, I like that I don't have to unscrew anything, to remove the back panel.

7. aztony

aztony Registered Member

My 1st and current personal notebook is a HP Pavilion. But I have used other laptops from employer(s) mainly Lenovo and Dell. To date, have never had any issues with my HP. Quality-wise and performances wise it has been stellar.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

^Service-wise, HP laptops aren't good. I don't know a single HP that survived the long haul (4+ years) in tough weather conditions. I do know Lenovo, Acer and Asus laptops that did.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Does that include HP business laptops? I wouldn't own a consumer model HP or Acer.

10. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

The one I described above never even got exposed to weather. I wrote a letter of complaint to HP corporate complaining about it, and the awful customer service at the HP service center. They didn't even bother to respond.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.