HowTo Install 2nd OS in another Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by zargouz, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zargouz

zargouz Registered Member

I installed OSS. I only have one HD-200GB.
    Initially, I wanted to just copy my present OS, Windows XP Home Edition. I clicked the "Copy" button and OSS seemed to go through the process of copying the OS, but when finished, no new OS is created.
    Now, I plan to reinstall Windows XP Home Edition anew in another partition (drive Y, same HD with C) separate from that where the original OS was installed (drive C). How do I go about acomplishing this? I tried to boot from Windows XP Home Edition installation disk hoping to direct to Drive Y when asked where to install the new OS, but the installation did not give me that option and stopped when it detected that my PC already had an OS.
    Please help.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zargouz,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Director Suite.

Please note that you could install new operating system on a separate partition using Acronis OS Selector in the following way:

1) Select the CD item in the Operating systems area of the Acronis OS Selector main window.
    2) Right-click on that item, select from the context menu Operating System Properties - Partitions and flag the partition you want the OS on as Active.
    3) Reboot and select your CD bootup from the boot menu, having inserted the disk with the OS distribution.
    4) Once booted from a disk, follow instructions to install the OS.
    5) During installation, the Windows bootable part will automatically place itself on the primary partition you have previously set as active.

Please note that when you boot either version of Windows using Acronis OS Selector later, each OS in the list will recognize the partition where its bootable part is located as active.

You can get more information about Acronis Disk Director Suite and Acronis OS Selector in the User Guide available at http://download.acronis.com/pdf/DiskDirectorSuite10.0_ug.en.pdf

Thank you.
    --
    Oleg Churkin

3. zargouz

Thanks Oleg:

How about if I restore an Acronis Image into another partition, is it possible and how do I go about it?

4. Acronis Support

Dear zargouz,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that you can restore backup image into another partitions using Acronis True Image.

To get more information about a restoring you can read the chapter 6 in the User's Guide

If you have any other questions or encounter any problems please feel free to contact us again. We will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Oleg Churkin

5. zargouz

Pardon my not catching on easily. I read Chpater 6 of the ATI Manual, but it seems to me tbat what I can restore to another partition (on a drive with the OS) are only files and folders, not another OS.

I tried doing it myself, but did not succeed.

Here's how I did it.

1. I did a complete backup of my one and only disk, including the MBR.
    2. I then made a second partition on the same disk, assigned it Drive D, and made it active.
    3. Then I tried to restore completely the backup, including the MBR, into Drive D, with the intention that when finished I will have two OS's in one disk, the original in Drive C: and another in Drive D: But I cannot because Acronis looks for an entire disk to restore to, not a partition.

Please help.

6. Acronis Support

Hello zargouz,

Please uncheck MBR box before restoring the necessary partition from your backup image on your Drive D.

If you have any other questions or encounter any problems please feel free to contact us again.

Thank you.
    --
    Oleg Churkin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.