How's Vista these days?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SourMilk, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Knowing of the woes Vista suffered in the past, I was wondering if Micro$oft has done anything to correct them or have they pulled back to focus on Windows 7 and the upcoming 8? In other words, have they patched the problems of copy speed, hardware incompatibilities, etc. yet?

Thanks
    SourMilk out

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm running Vista Home Premium (service pack 2) & it is working fine for me at the moment. I have no immediate need to upgrade & apparently I'm one of the few human beings on the face of planet Earth that actually prefers it to XP. Win 7 has the same kernel (as Vista) anyway, although it is an improvement, it isn't enough for me to want to go through all the hassle of upgrading to it.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I doubt that much has changed in Vista since 7 was released. I'm sure they will maintain it, but their focus has to be on 7 now.

4. Oremina

Oremina Registered Member

And I'm one of the others. I run Vista Ultimate on both desktop and laptop and I've had very few problems. Like it a lot, certainly more than XP. (Also like linux, just for a bit of variety!).

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

windows vista was fine after SP1 i dont know why it got so much bad press.

it took untill SP2 until windows xp was decent.

6. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

I use Vista x64 on my 3 computers, the only issue is I had to disable all autotune stuff on network because it made my router to crap out, but the same issue happened when tried Win7, so the real issue is the router. Performance wise, is excellent, nothing bad to say.

7. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I am currently using 32-bit Vista SP2 and do not have any problems with it. In fact, I never had any problems with Vista at all. The first time I used it, SP1 had already been out, so maybe the various problems mentioned on the web with Vista were pre-SP1.

Like XP, nothing new is going to be added to Vista now. Newer innovations will be reserved for Win 7. Though we might get minor enhancements/improvements in the form of SP3.

8. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Currently I am running Vista and I have had no problems caused by the OS. The only time I had an issue was when I had MSE and ZoneAlarm installed at the same time :argh:

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Everything is fine with Vista. Even WDDM 1.1 got ported to Vista along with a whole bunch of 7's "under-the-hood" changes. Vista SP2 is every bit as fast as 7 is (higher RAM usage notwithstanding) in 99% of applications now........

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

You are certainly not alone, I never had any problems with Vista and actually have learned to prefer it also. I also don't see a need to upgrade to 7.
    I really wonder if Win 7 is that much better. A couple of my grand children use it and I see nothing "glaringly better" that would make me upgrade to it.

11. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Vista for me has been rock solid since SP2. After the release of the first service pack for win 7 I'll start to convert my old machines to windows 7.

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It's good to see that I'm not the only person on Earth that prefers Vista to XP.:thumb:

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

It seems to be the common them with Vista: as much as it gets lambasted, similar numbers seem to like it a lot and report no problems with it. When I ran it w/SP2 it was excellent.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Used Vista until last year Windows 7 launch.

When i started using Vista there were NO SP and i NEVER EVER suffered a crash.
    All that "Vista Sucks" is pure BS and people following rumors :D

15. andyman35

I think a lot of the negativity surrounding Vista stemmed from OEMs shipping out substandard systems with that OS installed that were only really intended for XP.

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have Vista32 Ultimate SP2 on my main machine: It's stable, elegant, secure, I'm really satisfied with it. I've tried for a week Windows 7, and it was slightly faster than Vista. Like others have mentioned not worth the upgrade, but I'm certainly looking forward to having Win 7 on my next machine.

17. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I prefer Vista x64 as the ultimate Admin machine over Windows 7, reasons

a) Run full UAC with Norton's UAC Tool, it is stronger than default Win7 UAC and generates less pop-ups.
    b) Software Restriction Policy (through Sully's PGS) and icacls.exe can be used both on Home editions
    I use SRP deny execute on some directories on some others a restricted SRP. I use icacls.exe with Integrity Level set to Medium on all internet facing aps (except IE8 ). Advantage is that you won'tget UAC pop-ups (icacls medium level or from directories with limited/basic user SRP)
    c) Registry tweak to deny downloads of executables (with easy .reg file to set on or off) works as wel as on XP and Windows 7

It is the best OS for die hard Admin's wanting high level of security (on the fly) or reducing it

In three years time needed one re-install (same period I have reinstalled my XP Pro twice). All were self inflicted pain (trying to edge out the borders of what is possible with the OS). The reason of the Vista re-install was that I managed to intercept the elevation process trigger through Comodo (purpose was to silently deny some events), this ruined the raid integrity when playing with MBR access :cool:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  18. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Andyman, voice of reason. I noticed many celeron powered laptops had vista installed. On 1gb ram, they ran ok, but that processor really stank.

Some people might compare vista 'then' to say windows 7 now on a powerful machine and say vista sucked the fat one. But in reality, windows 7 on a celeron powered laptop with 512 ram would have choked as well.

Overall, with blackviper.com's settings, and a few tweaks from tweakhound, and it's flying.

ps - if there were ever a vote for a new moderator, hope you're it. Always provide solid posts. And Kees too. :) :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  19. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Share please.

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

21. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

Thanks a lot buddy :D

22. ameyap

ameyap Registered Member

Maybe one of the few who prefers to keep his preinstalled vista home premium instead of upgrading. I am running a absolutely no frills vista without aero and its absolutely stable for my requirements. I definately like it better than xp as its a lot more stable with absolutely no crashes for the past like 2 months and counting now. And yes I generally prefer to leave my laptop in sleep mode instead of shutting it down. I do so only very rarely.

23. andyman35

Only last week I had a Laptop in to 'fix' with only 512mb RAM (attempting to) run Vista Basic.The complaint was of poor performance following an install of Avast and some other bits and pieces.Once I'd upgraded it to 2gb it positively flew along.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

This is what I would have said if it wasn't already. There is nothing wrong with Vista, though I am enjoying 7 more. You couldn't make me go back to XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.