Howdy

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Detox, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hiya I'm a big time noob at this stuff as I can see from browing your old forum... Anyway I'm trying to make a post on "Privacy General" and I can't.. every time i click on it, I seem to be refreshing the main forum menu.. odd cause this one worked... anyway  I hope someone posts in there soon because I have a question about "Doubleclick" and I think that most of you can easily answer! hehe...

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

hmm upon closer examination it seems I can open everything BUT "Privacy General"   o_O

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Detox, and welcome!

That particular forum needs a fix indeed; thanks for pointing this out!

Feel free to post in "problems" for the moment; as soon as the glitch has been fixed, we will move the thread.

regards.

paul

4. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

Detox;

I have the same problem as you.
    I'm sure it will be repaired soon.

Wade

5. Paul Wilders

fixed, and thread moved to the "privacy general" forum.

regards.

paul

6. Drew

Drew Guest

woo-hoo! great thanks there my good man!

Anyway here's the Q then... WTF is "doubleclick"??

Along with "valueclick" it's the most commonly found component on my system by Ad-Aware. A friend of mine says that doubleclick is not spyware... and right now it seems like my ISP's webpage even puts it on my system. Surely someone knows what it really is?

7. Drew

Drew Guest

argh this is me Detox.. I deleted all my cookies trying to kill this doubleclick thing and apparently I didn't change my password for this forum like I thought I had.. :-/ also I deleted the email argh! What a bad day I'm having!

8. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

They are a marketing tracking agency on the web.  Lots of companies store their files for download using doubleclick.  They are also known to track surfers via cookies and web bugs, not to mention iframe banner ads.

9. Zhen-Xjell

Go ahead into login, there is a selection for forgotten passwords.  Fill that out, and you should receive it.

10. Drew

Drew Guest

hmm i thought it was spyware :-/ Now I've just got to figure out where it is coming from with such frequency, it never used to be like this!

Also I musta screwed up my email addy when i registered or something cause it keeps saying reminder sent but I don't have mail... what a mess I've made!

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

woo-hoo the 2nd time I got it back. A bit off subject but you might be interested to know that I just mis-typed one letter of my password when I changed it after first registering  :D

12. Paul Wilders

Welcome "back" Detox!

Passwords are case-sensitive indeed!

As for doubleclick; I recommend having a look at this nice freebie from PSC:

http://www.nsclean.com/zeroclik.html

Keep us posted!

regards.

paul

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Phew! The responses really fly fast in this forum!

Anyway I'm downloading ZeroClick now, looks like a good deal cause I don't want to run Ad-Aware every 10-20 minutes :-/

This brings to mind another question...

Is doubleclick able to send its information with my Zonealarm running?
    I use Roadrunner highspeed online and am connected 24/7.. ZoneAlarm seems to do a great job but I never see any alerts that refer to my computer trying to connect unless I have the lock engaged..?

(oh btw it wasnt the case sensitive thing i just put the wrong letter in my pass hehehehe)

14. Zhen-Xjell

If in Zone Alarm you allow your browser access to the Internet, then it cannot filter out the advertising filth that doubeclick uses on the web.  It is HTML code you would have to filter out, and in that you need to use tools like:

• hosts
    • proxomitron
    • web washer
    • your browser's security

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Detox - Hi, and welcome!

What's your OS? Have you ever tried out the SpyBlocker program?

Here's the page to start reading up on it: http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/mia/k/r/kryp/sb.htm . (Please read ALL the info, on that and all the 'Help' and 'Faq' pages - it might be just what you're looking for). Pete

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah I see.. gotcha Zhen.. I think I am mostly ok with ad aware and zeroclick, cause doubelclick was the only one that kept showing up again without me going to any web sites.

Spy1- thanks for the welcome ;-) I use Win98se...
    I'll take a look at that anyway and see just what it is abou!

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

interesting note, well to me anyway maybe nothing new to you folks, but after activating Zeroclick my Ad-Aware never detects "Doubleclick" anymore.. guess when Zeroclick "castrated" it.. the spyware no longer has the old signature or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.