How2 Monitor "phone home" from Browser

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LeMarque, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeMarque

LeMarque Registered Member

Well my first post and I hope this is the right Forum.

I use WAMP on my XP desktop to test Joomla! add-ons and scripts; as well as other php scripts before I upload to the WWW and go live. I currently use KIS but am considering Comodo.

Anyway, I installed a trial addon to J! that required a 'key' from the developer and thought that KIS would alert me to the outgoing connection that the add-on was making to verify the key; but it didn't/can't.

I've considered VMWare and Returnil, but am not sure how a VM works so that I would be alerted to outgoing connections from a script.

Any solutions appreciated.

2. LeMarque

LeMarque Registered Member

Just to clarify - I realize many apps have license bots that phone home to verify its a legal copy. I'm not trying to circumvent that. It just that with over 4K of extensions available for J!, I'd like to be certain that once installed, the extension is not reading the member list, etc. and sending that info to who knows where. For example, I paid a small fee for a neat WHOIS script that, come to find out, connects to the developers site every time a query is run. Not saying that he's "tasting" the lookups but, I wished I'd known that before I uploaded it to my site.

I've posted this question to the KIS Forum and have been told it's not possible to configure KIS to operate this way. I foundhttp://www.threatfire.com/ butI'm not sure this is going to do what I need.

Again, any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.