How Your Ad Blocker Can Track You Across the Web

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by hawki, Aug 11, 2021.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"A few lines of code hidden away on a webpage can turn your blocked ads into a unique ID...

...The average ad blocker leaves tiny traces of data on the websites you visit. When those traces are collected en masse, a bad actor (or tech company) could use these signals to identify your specific browser—a process literally called “fingerprinting” in the ad-targeting industry..."

https://gizmodo.com/how-your-ad-blocker-can-track-you-across-the-web-1847459354

2. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I saw one video which suggested similar, i.e., use vanilla browsers, and more than one for different sites.

In my case, I decided to just use Firefox with some about:config tweaks, the usual addons, but also multi-account containers.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Well, it's no surprise to me, there all kinds of tracking techniques, but I can live with being tracked, as long as I don't have to see those annoying ads that make websites run slow as hell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.