how would you rate safe n sec?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dr4956, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

i would lke to know from members who have used safe n sec?and would they recommend it? ..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

whoa you must have a fast pc to run all that mostly bloated stuff.
    lodore

3. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

i have no problems with any of them everything runs good avk is just very slow with its scan..but thats to be expected no complaints...my pc i have 2.5 gig,amd turion dualcore and 160 hd and my backup external hard drive is a mybook 160 hd...and i forgot security task manager....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice spec!
    i would say you already got to much software.
    lodore

5. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

I have tried the last version (listed as 2.0 but assigned as 2.5 o_O ) and did not find it bloated at all...

Instead, it did hang up my desktop once (only?).
    On the other hand, it does not have visibly configurable options for hooking and loading dlls, but only some mysterious 'internal' rules that do not block everything they should.
    It failed to block, for instance, SSM keylogger tests, right from the first option.

So, I would rate it as not very configurable and really uneffective against some of the most current threats nowadays.

6. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

thanks Roger,glad to see someone respond to my question being helpful and respectful,thanks again...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'd recommend it.

Pros: I've found it quite stable in use and more than comprehensive enough for anyone. Personally, I find keeping the details in the background a preferred approach, so having rules shunted a bit in the background isn't a real bother to me. The latest version does seem a real improvement over prior releases. You can get an integrated AV or AS application for demand scanning. If you go with a minimal set up (say SnS and a firewall (I don't like their network control module)), it is extremely light. Preset levels of aggressiveness does make it easier for novices to use.

Cons: It's a subscription service application unlike many programs in this genre - you do have to renew to keep it activated - whether this really translates to higher cost of ownership is an open question given typical version upgrade schemes. Like many HIPS, there's an initial flurry of approvals (although I'd say SnS is better than most) to deal with.

Blue

8. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

thanks Blue for the extra information........

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you miss understood me. i ment his AVK2006 and spyware doctor both bloated in my opintion IMO. i dont think someone needs spysware doctor and trend micro antispy.
    I like safe n sec and its very light.

10. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

With AVK you are totally safe, you wont need an AS, and Safe ´n Sec is good, but I like Cyberhawk and KIS/KAV PDM more.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

two realtime antispyware and green boader and avk2006.
    geez how much secuity does one person need.
    lodore

12. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Sorry for that, just figured it out later on... :)

I really found Safe'n'Sec quite light, too bad it is not completely effective.

Also re most signature based anti-spyware real-time software, I find it too bloated and not worthwhile for a reasonable safety level as they still miss a lot of (especialy new) malware and/or give out a bunch of false positives.

That is also why I am now engaging mostly towards behaviour analysers instead.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

if you read the av comparitive safe n sec test you will find it it detected 98percent of the malware.
    so it is effective
    lodore

14. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Sorry but wrong assumption, lodore... :rolleyes:

I installed, configured it and performed my own tests and I can assure you it is not effective against many usual malware techniques (read my first post in this topic to see detailed findings).

One test passing (like AV comp.. 98% though, not 100%, so not that effective also) is not significant, but at least one failing surely is.

So, it gives a reasonable degree of protection, of course, but there are other products with far better coverage.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok then.
    some people say that kaspersky's proactive defense is better than safe n sec.
    lodore

16. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I find SNS 2.5 beta to run quite light and is more compatible with other security applications than previous versions.

17. BlueZannetti

I don't recall any head to head tests myself. Do you happen to recall where you ran across this? Just wondering if I missed something.

Blue

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i think it was a comment psoted by someone here.
    it wasnt a direct test sorry for the confustion.
    lodore

19. BlueZannetti

lodore,

No problem, I assumed it was likely a passing comment which may be true, may be false, who knows....

Unfortunately, many folks seem to casually equate "I like it better, i.e. it is better for me" with "It is better, period" and post accordingly.

Blue

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i know and i dont know if its better but the pdm of kaspersky done well at both AV comparatives and firewallleaktester.com
    both are good.
    lodore

21. dr4956

dr4956 Registered Member

thanks again guys!..im still learning,and this forum is outstanding i learn more from you all in a day than i do anywhere else in a month ....i think avk and maybe greenborder will be enough,and maybe keep trendmicro for ondemand only...thanks.......dr4956.

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

23. lu_chin

It is strange that the download links for trial versions are still of 2.0 but not 2.5. Also, the Release Info link there still points to information on older builds but not that latest one. It seems the Safensoft website is not up-to-date regarding version 2.5.

24. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hm...strange...I downloaded yesterday and it is version 2.5.0.1989.

The download link for 2.5.0.1989:

http://www.safensoft.com/sns/safensec_en_2.5.exe

25. lu_chin

Thanks Chubb. I just bought a license for SNS with AV at the end of this November. I emailed Safensoft's tech support and they told me that new license would be needed to run 2.5 (which was not officially out yet according to them). They also gave me a link with a discount on it but I thought my license was good for one full year. Right now I am only using a beta key (for 60 days) to run 2.5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.