How will this work exactly?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 357mag, Oct 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

Okay I may install a couple of new hard drives. These will be by the same company but will probably have a different model number than the ones I have now. I'm planning on first installing the new drives, and then putting the True Image disc in my DVD drive and using the Recovery button to place the backup image of my computer onto the new drive.

Okay here is what I'm not clear on. The backup image as it is now was obviously made with the drives that are currently installed in my computer. Let's say for example the model number for both my drives shows ST3320620AS.

Now I assume that info is also contained in my backup image correct?

Now lets say the model number of my new drives will be ST3500320AS.

What will happen when I boot my computer and I look into Device Manager? Will Device Manager correctly show my new drives with the new model number? Or will it show the old drives with the old model number?

Obviously I don't want old incorrect information to be shown so this is why I ask the question. I would like Device Manager to show the new updated drives.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I do not believe that drive model numbers are contained in an image of a drive. It is probable that the information is hard wired in the drive's own electronics.

I base my assumption on the fact that I regularly swap my main hard drives as part of my backup process having restored them from a previous full image. The drives are always shown with their correct identities in Windows device manager.

Xpilot

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The hdisk numbers are "in" the drive. You can move an image from ond hdisk to another. The only thing at issue is wheter, if the image is of a system disk, the image has the right drivers for the machine on which the new hdisk is installed. If the new hdisk is on the same machine then there shouldn't be an issue. When restoring, the restore program does have to update some info in Windows re the volume ID so that Windows doesn't freak. In version 11 there was a problem with how the ATI restore program did this (improperly terminating the character string for the volume id) and this caused som wierdness. But that's been fixed in version ATI12/2009.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I think we are describing two different things here though I am willing to be corrected.

My contention is that the name and model number of a hard drive is either hardwired in the drive electronics or is an area which is never overwritten by True Image.

When I restore an image of a previous hard drive to a replacement hard drive the real physical identity of the new drive shows up in Windows device manager.

The volume identity on the other hand is exactly the same as that which was included in the image. In other words the volume identity is retained throughout and is not hardware dependent.

Xpilot

5. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

I will simply be removing the drives that are currently in my computer and replacing them with the two new drives. This is all taking place on the same computer.

I was kinda hoping I would not have to reinstall Windows to get the correct information showing up in Device Manager.

When you rebooted your computer after installing the new drives did Windows pop up the New Hardware Wizard box? Will I have to go through that?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There will be no need to re-install anything. You are seeing a problem where none exists.

Xpilot

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

357 Mag,

The device manager will always show whatever disk model number is installed in the computer.

Check line 2 & 3 of my signature below for more assistance. Also, be sure and assign unique names to your drives as suggested again by my signature.

8. 357mag

357mag Registered Member

My particular setup is pretty basic. I got two drives. The first drive is the Windows System Drive which is C:\. The second drive is called F:\.

There are no other partitions on either drive.

I will restore the backup image which is my Windows System image to the first drive.

I will then restore the backup image representing what's on my F:\drive to the second drive.

It appears that I can do both these restore operations in one shot so I guess I'll take advantage of that.

Should work.

9. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You should perform the restores when booted from the TI Rescue CD and be sure and assign unique names to your drives because the Rescue CD may intermix the drive letters. Drive letters should not be used as a consideration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.