How Up To Date are Updates for Spyware Guard?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by romy, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romy

romy Registered Member

I just downloaded Spyware Guard 2.2 full today, Feb. 4. 2005, then went and downloaded the definitions. They are being listed as having a time stamp of Jan 22, 2004, thus over a year old?

This can't be correct (or can it)?

Thanks!
    romy

2. coug77

coug77 Registered Member

I have had SpywareGuard downloaded ever since 2.2 came out. My last update of definittions is the same. When I go through the update button, it always says nothing new available. Hopefully, someone will tell us here when to expect a new update.

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Jan 22, 2004 for me too.

Jimbob

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Romy....Please take a peek at this thread.

Regards,
    Bubba

5. romy

romy Registered Member

Just read Bubba's note to me to "take a peek" at a different thread... so, after doing so, I'm gonna figure it's working... with a somewhat myopic viewpoint... <gd&r>

romy

6. Vanguard

Vanguard Registered Member

The argument goes that the year-old signatures really aren't critical to SpywareGuard catching spyware because it uses heuristics (rules) to catch behavior exhibited by spyware. Okay, but that also means SpywareGuard has not been updated in a year to have its heuristics match the behaviors exhibited by NEW spyware. Old rules to catch old spyware doesn't mean those old rules will catch new spyware. Prevx Home (free), an intrustion protection system (IPS), also uses signatures to catch new and old malware and it also uses heuristics but it does update those heuristic rules periodically. Today's spyware behaves exactly the same way as spyware a year ago? If so then there would never be anything to identify as *new* spyware because it would all still be old spyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.