How to view files/folders after backing up to external HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dandice, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dandice

dandice Registered Member

I am a newbie...so bear with me!
    I have Acronis 9.0 and want to create a file/folder backup to my external hard drive. When going to this backup, I want to be able to view the file folders, just like you can from regular computer (Like Windows Explore..expand/colapse folders etc)

Well when I created this backup via Acronis, I select file/data backup, but the it saved on external drive, it is image (My_Files) and type is file. When I double click on it to open, it brings up window asking me what program to open it with.

How can I get files/folders copied over to external hard drive and be able to explore off of external hard drive?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: How to view files/folers after backing up to external HD

Hello Dandice,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

We'd like to infrom you that you can choose Acronis True Image as the program to open this file with. Just click "Selet the program manually from the list" and choose Acronis True Image in the appeared list. If Acronis True Image is not in the list, click "Other" button and open c:\program files\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImage.exe

After that you will be able to browse the files in the archives through Windows Explorer.

If you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

3. dandice

dandice Registered Member

Eugene

When opening with Acronis, it automatically goes into Restore Data Wizard mode. I would like it open so I an just explore files, not looking to restore the data.

Please advise
    Candice

4. Acronis Support

Hello dandice,
    There is no such capability in Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. However stating from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home it is possible to view the backup archive contents just by double-clicking it in Windows explorer. The latest Acronis True Image 11 Home has such a feature as well.

We may recommend you to upgrade to Acronis True Image 11 Home at Acronis online store.

Please feel free to contact us again any time should you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

5. fitforlife

fitforlife Registered Member

I have the trial version of Acronis 11 and everything is working OK expect:

* Search and explore archives Easily search for and recover particular files from all your known backup archives

When I double clink using Explorer on the *.tib file I get a screen image for 1/2 a second that I cannot see and then the screen disappears. This occurs on my laptop running Vista Basic and my Desktop running Vista Premium. I have 12 .tib files for my Dasktop backup and 7 for my laptop backup. I also have the same problem when choosing the "Explore Backup Archive" option from the Acronis Home page. After choosing this option I select the *.tib file and click the OPEN button. Then a screen image pops and disappears.

What can I do to explore these files?

Thanks,

6. Acronis Support

Hello fitforlife,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify, what version were the archives created with?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

7. fitforlife

fitforlife Registered Member

I am using version 11, build 8027. I am running Vista Basic on my Gateway Laptop and Vista Premium on my HP Desktop. I have backed up (full image) both to my external My Book Essential FAT drive and have 12 files 4.1GB backup files for my desktop and 7 files for my laptop.

All I am tying to do now is explore the backup files.

8. Acronis Support

Hello fitforlife,

Please try uninstalling the program, rebooting your computer, clearing Windows tem folders and installing again.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall Acronis drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create also Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. fxmaker

fxmaker Registered Member

Exactly the same problem (window disappears).

Windows Vista Ultimate x64. Archive made with 8027.

I understand Acronis has duplicated the problem but keeps suggesting reinstalls and driver upgrades (which don't help).

Is this problem something that might be fixed in the near future?

Thank you

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

fxmaker, could you please clarify if you've followed the instructions in the previous post and submitted a request for technical support? If so then could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.

--
    Michael Levchenko

11. goblue1969

goblue1969 Registered Member

I am having this problem as well. I am unable to explore full image backups nor backup archives consisting of a subset of files. When I click on "Explore Backup Archive", I see a pop-up window for 1/2 second and then nothing happens. When I attempt to view the archive in Windows Explorer, I have a similar problem....I click on the .tib file and nothing happens.

I went through the uninstall/reinstall suggestion and I also installed the latest drivers. However, it appears to me that this issue has been documented by many Acronis TI users since early last year (v 9.0). I read in a couple of threads that Acronis was able to duplicate this issue as far back as October 2007. Does anyone know if Acronis has a proven fix for this issue?

I filed a tech support request and will post to the forum if a fix is provided.

BTW...running lastest build (11.0.8053) on Vista Home Premium (which is the biggest pile of OS crapola ever built, IMHO).

12. Ray Clare

Ray Clare Registered Member

If the .tib files were created in Version 9, Version 11 cannot use them. Version 9 does allow you to mount the tib as a drive, and then you can view it with explorer, as does version 11.

Make a backup with 11, and you will be able to browse it as they describe above, or you can mount it as a drive as in version 9. Good luck..

13. goblue1969

Unfortunately, I never used an earlier version of Acronis TI. I have only used v11.

14. goblue1969

Hello? Acronis Support? Any idea why users cannot explore a backup archive?

I replied to your email indicating that I am running the latest version and I installed the latest drivers. For kicks, I did a complete uninstall/reinstall. Same problem...when attempting to explore a backup archive, a window pops up for a 1/2 second and then nothing.

Note that I searched the forum and found postings from over a year ago highlighting this same problem. Is there any solution available?

15. Acronis Support

Hello goblue1969,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.