How to Use Universal Restore? Didn't Work!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MIKE282, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MIKE282

MIKE282 Registered Member

Products:
    Acronis True Image Enterprise Server v9.1 Build 3666
    Acronis Universal Restore for True Image Enterprise Server v9.1 Build 3666

I have Computer # 1 with one harddisk that has two partition, C: and E: with WinXP Pro SP2 as OS residing in partition/drive C.

I want to upgrade my computer to a new computer # 2 that has different hardware specification (Motherboard/Processor/etc..). I also only have one harddisk on this new computer, that I already made two partition exactly like the harddisk on the old computer #1 (drive C: and D:).

Before creating a backup:

1) On TI Enterprise under Tools/Option/Media components, I had selected/check mark "Place Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Acronis Universal Restore (Full version) on Media.
    2) Create Bootable Rescue Media with the Acronis Media Builder and selecting all the option under Acronis True Image Enterprise Server.
    3) I took out the harddisk in the new computer, and hook it up as external drive via USB drive enclosure to the old computer #1.
    4) Old computer #1 detect the external harddisk, which at this time since it's hook up to the old computer as external drive, the partition becomes G: and F:

Afterward, I created the Backup with the Create Backup Wizard by doing the following:

1) Backup "The entire disk contents or individual partition"
    2) In Partitions Selection, I check mark only the NTFS (C:) drive of Disk 1, since my plan is only to move the c drive to the new computer, and I don't need the E drive. In other word, I did not check mark the entire Disk 1.
    3) On the Backup Archive Location, I choose the F: partition on Disk 2 as the location of the backup archived.
    4) On Select Backup Mode, I select Create New Full Backup Archive
    5) Backup Option, I choose Use Default Options
    And then proceed as usual to make the backup archived.

After the backup is done, I disconnect the enternal drive from the old computer, and took out the new harddisk and install it on the new computer.

I then proceed to Recover the backup image to be install into the new computer.

1) I hook up the new harddisk to the new computer that contains the backup image in what is now become drive D: in the new computer from what it was F: when it was hook up as external drive in the old computer. The new computer has one disk with two partition C: and D: where D contains the backup image created earlier.
    2) I boot up the new computer using the CD Rescue Media I created earlier.
    3) I choose "Acronis True Image Enterprise Server with Acronis Universal Restore (Full Version)" from the list of program I can run from the cd
    4) I then choose Recovery and choose the backup image from Drive D.
    5) In Restoration Type, I select Restore disks or partitions
    6) On Partition or Disk to Restore, I was given two choices Disk 1 with NTFS (C:) and MBR and Track 0 as another choice. I choose NTFS C: and click Next
    7) On Restoration Partition Location, I choose NTFS (C:) click Next
    :cool: On Restored Partition Type, I choose Active
    9) On Restore Partition Size, i made the same size as the old harddisk C partition which is 25GB
    10) Next Selection, I choose No, I do not want to restore another partition.
    11) Acronis Universal Restore, I choose USE Acronis Universal Restore
    12) On Install These Drivers, i choose Do Not Install Specific Drivers ( this is because I do not have any cd driver to the new computer).
    13) Restore Operation Options, I choose Search Removable Media for device drivers, and leave blank check mark on Search for device drivers in the following locations:"
    14) I then proceed to Restore the backup image.

Took about 1.5 hours to make the restore. Acronis then said operation succeed. I then closed Acronis and took out the cd and let the computer boots up. The computer then
    boots up, and the black background Window XP shows up, http://picasaweb.google.com/mike282/Acronis/photo#5077717254004644466it then proceed it as though the next screen which I expected to be the login screen.

But it didn't, it went to a blue background screen with Window XP logo only.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mike282/Acronis/photo#5077717254004644482

No way for me to loggin into XP. This is where I'm confused and stuck. I assumed the whole process didn't work.

Please tell me what I did wrong? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

1. Make the bootable True Image cd and make sure it includes the UR feature.
    2. Make an Image of the entire drive of the old system on to your usb drive.
    3. Use something like Driver Magician to extract the drivers that are on the new system, or if you have a cd that came with the new system and it already has the drivers, keep it handy.
    4. Connect the usb drive on the new system and boot with the TI cd.
    5. Choose to Recover the Image and when the option to use UR appears choose to do so.
    6. Follow the prompts.

When the option to add the drivers appears, you will have to manually choose them one at a time. The driver for the video adapter is the most important one to get the new system to boot. You can always add the other drivers (for network, sound, modem etc.) after you have a booting system.

3. luislavena

luislavena Registered Member

I'm in the same situation as MIKE282.

Created the image, restored to a new hardware, put Intel DG945GZ Driver CD, used default options for UR.

Rebooted, windows xp sp2 booted but hang in a blue screen with just Windows logo there (like the 'welcome' screen).

Started this process 30 minutes ago, and still I see that screen :'(

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

During the Restore process, did you get the screen where you were asked to select the drivers to include in the Restore?

5. luislavena

luislavena Registered Member

I've tried UR with the following options:

1) No manual installation, search for removable media + putting CD into the drive with intel drivers.

Result: blue screen with windows logo

2) manual installation, selected intel GFX, Intel PRO/100, WDM for onboard Sigmatel Audio. checked "look for removable media" too.

Result: blue screen with windows logo (it lasted 1 hour and no change).

3) no manul installation, no "look removable media for drivers", installed without error (Acronis didn't yell at me about drivers).

result: after reboot, same blue screen with Windows Logo, and that was 1 hour ago.

So: tested all the possible scenarios, and restoration didn't complete.

For the record: the system I'm clonning is working previosly, so I booted it in the original hardware, windows worked OK.

Windows XP SP2, No slipstream of drivers or anything, just sp2.

6. curt504

curt504 Registered Member

I just bought UR based on optimistic assumptions I now see. I'll add my 2 cents of what I thought I was buying:

- UR would grab the i386 directory off the old system or UR grabbed it out of the restore.
    - Any new HW drivers would be automatically pulled out of the std windows place for me.
    - This UR feature is an expensive hook for me to do alot of work. Might I just do a fresh install of the OS and TI home to grab my documents out of the image and save buying UR?

Or UR would change the new windows restore to VESA mode and no drivers would be needed. What's wrong with this solution, that it sounds like UR doesn't support?

curt

7. curt504

curt504 Registered Member

Can a backup taken with Home 9.0 be used by UR9.1? IE the old HW is dead.

tnx curt

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MIKE282 and luislavena,

When the PC boots to the Windows welcome screen, please try pressing ctrl+alt+delete once or twice till a login prompt appears, then enter system administrator login and password (if it's Windows XP Home, try booting into Windows safe mode instead).

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello curt504,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that backups created by earlier versions of Acronis True Image can be restored by later versions.
    As for you other questions, please see my answer in your other thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.