How to use Surun with Win7 64 Home

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Terarus, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terarus

Terarus Registered Member

Surun doesn't seem as intuitive in win7 as it is in XP.
    Can someone point to me the steps to implement Surun onto win7?
    Right now, after installing surun and adding my account to "surun members", I can still access things as if I was an admin (even after restart) - UAC appears to pop up and allow me full admin with "yes"

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Are you running under a Standard user account or Administrator account? Surun is meant to elevate processes when running from a Standard account, as long as the Standard user(s) is added to the Surunners group.

3. Terarus

Terarus Registered Member

I was running as an admin as the steps for xp was to install surun as admin and then it'll automatically change you to standard after adding to surun members. I'll things a try now

Thanks!

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You're welcome. Surun does not change an administator account to Standard rights; it allows a user running as Standard to easily elevate programs to Administrator level, but within the user account, rather than to an administrator account.

There is a possible danger to this process, as was correctly pointed out to me by Wilders member MrBrian

-http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1963124&postcount=14

An excellent post as recommended reading by member WindChild on the proper way to elevate processes is here:

-http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1575256&postcount=13

The link within it on Vista UAC is excellent reading as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.