How to uninstall powershadow 2.6. Heard it leaves files behind?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Horus37, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Ok I remember somewhere that version 2.6 doesn't do a clean uninstall, so what files do I have to manually get rid of? Does anyone remember? I will be switching to version 2.8 since it covers the MBR but is in chinese. I think I can deal with that if it's free. However did flinchlock's experiments conclude that version 2.8 did indeed HIDE some files like a rootkit of somekind?

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Horus37, I don't think you can register the free versions anymore (after June 11th) If you remove version 2.6 you may be stuck without PS period. Read the other recent posts.

I have been saving tidbits of posts and the read me for my own reference. Here's what I have about removal.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "How do I uninstall PowerShadow?

To completely remove and uninstall PowerShadow, follow these steps ONE BY ONE:

"1, Make sure that you are NOT in Shadow Mode !!!
    2, Disable your other security software prior to uninstallation.
    3, From the Control Panel, double-click "Add/Remove Programs"
    4, Highlight the PowerShadow entry
    5, Click "Remove or Add/Remove". This removes the PowerShadow program files from your computer.

NOTE: Step 1 & 2 are crucial. Failure to follow the instructions may result in system crash."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Your post just remind me of something happened before:
    I once uninstalled PS V2.6 (registered), pretty "clean" IMO ; but when I reinstall a few days later, I found PS is "automatically" registered even without registeration code!
    But, the V2.6 doesn't write anything in sector 15 on HD .......

As I know, the most important part of PS is "SnpShot.sys" located in "X:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers" , which is very hard(or impossible to uninstall & erase. So, I suppose the information about PS user might be saved in that file or somewhere in system registry.

I quite doubt it is a "privacy" threat, but just "uninstallation problem"."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do a search for SnpShot.sys as I think somebody suggests a way to remove it. Flintoch AFAIK hasn't tested 2.8.2 yet. He may after his vacation. There is a very recent post where somebody couldn't register 2.8.2 so uninstall your version with the knowledge that you could be without any PS unless you purchase it.

edit: here is the search result for snpshot.sys. Start with post #63. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1011234&highlight=snpshot.sys#post1011234

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  3. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I still use PS 2.6 installer and reg data from when it was first offered and it still installs just fine, mind you, the 2.6 version doesn't demand internet verify, that's hard coded into the program itself.

As far as uninstalling i'm quite puzzled that some have experienced issues with snpshot.sys when uninstalling. I can erase it easily IF NEED BE, with RKUnhooker, IceSword, etc. There are plenty of free open source/freeware driver removal tools also.

It's not welded quite that strong IMO onto the PC from my observations and experience with it.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Easter, good to hear it removes easily. While I have some of the tools you mentioned, I have no idea yet how to use them for removal purposes. I also edited my post with a link to the discussion where I got my quotes from.

I keep a copy of 2.6 with a text file containing the key I need ;). I like to keep my options open. My 2.8.2 still wants to call out after 30 minutes of use which I block. That is the only annoyance that I have with my version.

With all the recent discussion and scrutiny this program has had. It actually strengthened my enthusiasm for it and others apps like it. It's good to know a programs strengths and weaknesses. I plan on keeping it and using it as another layer of security.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.