How to transfer all apps and data from one laptop to another?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alidabiri, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alidabiri

alidabiri Registered Member

Hi,
    i have an older dell (insprion 8100, 20GB-HDD) that i want to replace with a newer dell (40GB-HDD). they are both on my home network. I also have a desktop that is also on my network. I have acronis 10.0 software for backup, etc. my question is how can i get all my data and apps from inspiron 8100 and put them in the newer dell. i am aware of norton ghost and other similar apps, but i don't want to spend extra money on this issue.
    1) will acronis do this? if so, will my newer dell have all the apps and data and will it still have 40GB instead of 20GB?
    2) will acronis backup/restore do this?
    3) is there any other way to do this? xcopy, etc.
    thanks.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The short answer is no. The new PC will have different hardware and the drivers installed in Windows won't match. People have done it by letting Windows detect the mismatches, installing correct drivers and doing a Windows repair. Doesn't mean it can't be done but I'd never attempt that on a laptop since they have enough inherent problems compared to a desktop.

I'd reinstall the OS and apps and copy the data over via the network and consider it an opportunity to clean the system up by not resinstalling anything you don't use frequently.

TI does make a product called Universal Restore which is intended for situations like this but you need to buy its license and also you need TI Workstation rather than the Home version to use UR.

TI would restore the 20GB image onto the 40GB HD and you could resize the partition to make it 40GB or you could have the 20GB partition and then partition the remainder as a second partition.

3. alidabiri

alidabiri Registered Member

thanks for reply.
    how much is the license for universal restore?
    thanks.

4. kjsmithtx

kjsmithtx Registered Member

I will second the idea that you should just reinstall fresh. I personally have tried the restore to different hardware and the results were less than satisfying. While it did boot and redetect all the hardware on the new system, the resulting system was much slower than another exact system that was reinstalled from scratch with the exact same software. The restored system continues to be very slow a year later and is getting ready to be reinstalled from scratch soon. There are enough interrelationships within the registry and drivers that it just isn't worth it unless the systems are very close in hardware installed. And with laptops, it seems there are even more model specific drivers!

Just DON'T do it.

5. seekforever

Check the Acronis website but remember you don't just need Universal Restore but also a Workstation version of TI that works with it.

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

true image won't move your programs because of the registry. It moves eveything. To do what you want is best to do a clean install of all your programs but there programs softrescue / pcmover that can move programs from one OS to another OS. Only recommended if you lost your original installation disks.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

You're going to end up doing so much fiddling by trying to move everyting over from one pc to another, you'll actually save time if you just reinstall everything from scratch.

8. seekforever

And if the new PC has an obscure problem, you are going to wonder if it is because you forced the old OS onto it. Then you will format the drive and reinstall from scratch anyway. "The hard way is often the easy way!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.