How to totally rid of NAV 2007???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wills, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I have been googling and reading threads from other forums as I want to uninstall and rid of all traces of NAV 2007.
    This is only h the A/V, not Systemworks etc.

My system is xpsp2.
    I realize that there is a Norton Uninstall Tool, however I have read in a couple of forums that this Tool is mostly a "disabler" and that one has to actually get into the Registry and I am by no means a Tech.

What I have read is do the usual Add/Remover; Symantec Uninstall Tool, and Registry Cleaner like Reg Supreme and then open Regedit.
    Well I don't mess with my Registry as I am not competent to do that. I do regular backups however and have never really had major issues with NAV, however it simply is too cumbersome and others in my family have been using Kapersky and Prevx2 and are very satisfied.
    And that is what my plans are, however I am not in my comfort zone if I have to start manually digging in the Registry to rid of leftovers from NAV 2007.

I would really appreciate experienced advice on this. If it is a case of having to rid of things manually I guess that I will have to pay a Tech as I simply never touch the Registry and don't like aggressive Registry Cleaners even if backups are done.

The only Registry Cleaner that I use periodically is Advanced Windows Optimizer which I have been using for at least 5 years now along with some of its other options.Advance Windows Optimizer is not a aggressive Reg Cleaner and it is one that my bro recommends to his clients and so it is not going to do the job as Reg Supreme would in its low mode.
    My bro has found that Advanced Windows Optimizer Reg Cleaner and a couple of other options is a conservative tool for use by people with the experience that I have which is non tech computer use, simply a user of the programs for my daily work. Since it does not have the "gusto" of a lot of Reg Cleaners it may not do the job....that is why my bro recommends the program.

Again I would really appreciate advice from the well experienced users here.
    Kind Regards,

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would never reccomend using registry cleaners since they are more likely to do harm than good
    uninstalling from add/remove programs reboot and then running the norton removal tool should be enough.
    the norton removal tool should remove the registry entries left behind by the standard windows uninstaller.
    get it from here

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yes, uninstall it from the Add/Remove programs first. Then download the symantec removal tool link and follow the instructions there. Next, i would strongly recommend RegSupreme for the cleaning of the registry (shareware, it's free to try for 30-day without feature limitations).

5. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Or instead of using registry cleaners, you could try the Revo uninstaller. Does a good job. Run the removal tool afterward, to be sure.

6. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Have you tried Revo Uninstaller...the Hunt Mode sounds very interesting. Just curious if the member has used the application.
    I am always wary of touching my registry as I seem to have "bumble finger" luck!!!
    I was wondering if all the options of Revo Uninstaller have to be installed?
    Thank you.

7. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

The hunt mode of revo uninstaller removes ALL the registry keys related to the program, so it can be dangerous, Run the advanced uninstalling mode instead.

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

"The Member." Hm. Haven't been called that before, much.

Yes, I've used it. In it's basic operation it runs the program uninstaller for what is being removed. There are then two more levels of "search" available. One for moderate cleaning, one for deep cleaning. The application hunts for leftovers associated with the program that has been uninstalled. And, in my experience so far, finds a few. Sometimes quite a few.
    I'm sorry, I don't remember the install modes when installing it. I was distracted by something else. I'd just install all options. It's not like you have to use them all.
    For reg cleaning, CCleaner is regarded as a very safe tool, which also makes backups of what's cleaned if you tick the right box.
    Same subject, not a bad idea to have Erunt installed. This automatically copies and backs up the registry round about daily. Works a bit like a slim Windows Restore.

9. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx for the replies. I see ERUNT mentioned and never did install that b/c I understood that it required a fair understanding of settings and as stated I am not an intermediate and not really a noob either, I just use the programs needed for work and have left the tech stuff for my bro which he advised me was the safest.
    He knows me very well and my tech abilities.
    However, this Uninstaller program in the Advanced mode sounds to be quite safe, and rids it sounds quite well in the google articles read of traces leftover. I really would like to give this program a go, but without all the other options as I already have the rest of these options in "Advanced Windows Optimizer" which I have been using for some time and with satisfactory results.
    I rids of junk files, optimizes the registry, deals with start up etc. and i forget what I paid for it but it is not aggressive and my bro as I said recommends it to his clients as a conservative program that keeps the computer operational at an optimum.
    That is why I thought that I would ask if I can be selective in what options I install from this Uninstaller program.

I have found sometimes in the past that if programs do similar jobs there can be a conflict and thus I asked this question.
    I really appreciate everyone's input here as I have gone on to google the topics and have read nothing but good comments about the app but no one said whether you could simply select certain options that you wanted to install.

Again I look forward to your comments, you all have been extremely helpful in this whole post.

Cheers.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Since you ask so nicely, I'll have a play. If I don't bork anything I'll report back in an hour or so. :D

11. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Just uninstalled Revo Uninstaller, then re-installed it. There are no configuration options for installation (beyond the normal "create shortcut" type options) so I think you must be referring to the options involved in running the program, yes?

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I agree with the suggestions, because this is about a software that has been installed permanently. I have the same uninstalling problems with permanent installed softwares. Total Uninstall makes it easier, but isn't perfect either.
    If NAV was installed temporarily in order to test it, it would be a different situation.

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  13. William Mach

William Mach Registered Member

I was wondering if the reference was to post 7 where Reference is made to use the "hunter mode" as it is powerful??
    I have used the app myself and don't know where the member locates the "advanced uninstalling running mode", where is that option located and should it be checked off?
    I posted this as I have used the app and been happy with it but did not know the information that the member included in post 7 which would be valuable to many of us who are not techie oriented. I hope that someone has a comment for this as this likely would help Wills as well.
    BTW, this is a nicely worded thread that is beneficial in many ways to a lot of us.
    I like threads where members like Wills put the question in a straightforward manner and the participating members also respond in the same fashion.

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The "Hunter mode" I haven't been prepared to try, but you click on the hunter mode icon, which then pops up on your screen, and drag it onto the application you want removed.
    No need so far for this user to try that.
    "Advanced mode" took me a few seconds to find, too. But after you select the program to remove, and it's own (or the Windows) uninstaller does it's thing, the options part of the GUI opens (or maybe it opens prior to the uninstaller) and gives you the options to (1) Just use the uninstaller, (2) moderate (which doesn't take long, and looks for remaining files in the likely places) and (3) advanced, which may take a bit longer, and has a more serious look in the likely and not so likely places.
    It's all fairly intuitive and self explanatory, when you use it.
    Prior to running the program, though, do check the program options at the top of the GUI and make sure that the checkbox that says "only use the uninstaller" (or words to that effect) is not ticked. I also like to delete files to the recycle bin, too, just in case they may be needed again.

15. William Mach

William Mach Registered Member

So I gather one should use the "search" on uninstaller and type in "Norton" or Symantec as examples of what Wills wants to do and highlite each one that is there and the "Uninstaller" will do the rest and send it to the Recycle Bin?

I see there is the "Delete Entry" option as well...does that need using, as it appears to deal with the Registry?

I hovered the cursor over the Icon for Hunter and it said "switch to" and I gather that is not what Wills would want to be doing?

Is it correct in stating then that the end user uses the first Icon "Uninstaller" and then types in Symantec and Norton and highlights and deletes?

I have NAV 2007 on my PC and thought that I would do a little check since Wills is wanting to rid of this program.
    In he Add/Remove there were only 3 instances of Symantec/Norton referenced while this Program showed 5 under Norton and 5 different entries under Symantec for a total of 10 instances of entries compared to the 3 in Add/Remove.
    Quite a difference when you think that you use Add/Remove and rid of 3 and there are actually 7 more that need removing.

Then after this he should use the NAV Clean Tool, correct.
    I am simply trying to see how this application works in relation to the same NAV that I have on my PC that he has and the correct procedure to rid of the entire program if I wanted to as he does.
    This is definitely good information !

16. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Sorry, I got buried in a work assignment and just had the opportunity to read the posts.
    I am grateful for members participation here at this forum.
    I just did the d/l of the suggested program and am trying to understand it. I appreciated the comments from "William Mach" as well since this member has the same A/V that I am trying to get rid of.

This app sounds like it should rid of the leftovers....do I do this by highlighting all of the traces related to the name when I do the Search?
    And thus only use "uninstaller"...but I was wondering about the "objects" option as the early poster I believe "William Mach" questioned as well.

Anyway I would appreciate any enlightenment on what part of the program I use to accomplish the end result of "no traces" and then a clean install of Kapersky.
    Would I use the Norton Remove Tool before this App? I have did the d/l of it as well and a print out of the instructions as I don't want to err there as well.

Thank you

17. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

1) Open Revo Uninstaller.
    2) Check that under "Options>uninstaller" the option "only run the unsinstaller" is
    not checked.
    3) Highlight the program to be uninstalled, by clicking on it.
    4) Click the "Uninstall" icon. Answer the dialogue with "Yes".
    5) A second GUI will appear with a list of modes. Select "advanced".
    6) Follow the prompts. As files are located to delete, they appear in a tree view. Be sure to tick only those relating to the program to be uninstalled. (For example, don't put a tick in the master "HKLM" entry at the top of the registry remnants, follow it down to the item/s in bold, and tick that/those. In other words, the items that should be deleted are in bold, don't delete anything not in bold.
    7) View the details, read any info or prompts, close the program.
    8 ) If a message pops up saying "blah blah will be deleted on next restart, restart.
    9) Run the Norton removal tool.
    10) You should be all good to go.

18. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Thx very much for the point by point e-z to understand instructions. For a member like me with lack of tech expertise it is greatly appreciated.
    Is there a place where those steps that are so genuinely spelled out could be posted for other potential users of this application?
    Just thought that I would ask, as "Tarq" did such a great job !!
    Kudos!
    Now I just have to set aside the time to do this and I will report back!!

19. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

You're welcome.
    For a list that covers these sorts of questions, a user could always try the online help file ;)
    I should add, in case it isn't obvious, that when uninstalling security software, it's a very good idea to already have the installer file/s for it's replacement, and any other tools needed, and to be disconnected from the web while you're doing it.

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have used CCleaner regularly including the registry part and trusted it to not mess anything up. It has never let me down in that respect. I believe Tarq57 is correct in the fact that it is safe, I also am in favor of using the Norton Cleanup Removal Tool. Use it first and then CCleaner.

21. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I agree with our resident friendly creature. I have never had any problems using the Add/Remove-->SymNRT-->CCleaner method of cleaning. In fact I use CCleaner after uninstalling any software as most of them leaves traces behind.

22. L815

L815 Guest

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess I have been lucky, but I have uninstalled several Nortons and used the add/remove, documents and settings, removed any folder from Program files, and searched for anyhing with the name Norton or Symatec.
    It has worked so far.

My son has been using System Works 2006. When he comes during July we will get rid of Norton. I suspect that the removal tool would be a good idea, and I bookmarked the page.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.