How to test your current secuity?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tesk, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Hello,

First of all, im not a illegal hacker.

Im using a lot of my time on helping my friends by securing their computers.

But If you want to be protected against hacker, then you have to be thinking like a hacker.

It is not because im unsafe. 2 Nat firewall and Comodo firewall so im not scary. But it was to my friends.

I want to test how secure these security-packets im installing on my friends computers are. But it is usually AVG antivirus (I hate that program, but it is the most userfriendly freeware program) and no firewall and then Windows Defender.

Atm, im trying Spyware Terminator out for a alternative to WD.

But I also want to test these firewall. Windows own and other.

So my question is, how do i do and what software should i use? I've scanned ports and so on, and know how to do it.

I would prefer a User Interface in the suggested application, but if it is only CMD LINE, then that is okay.

I would be happy for any suggestion. :)

And remember, I won't use it for anything illegal. And if you are unsecure of posting it in the forum, then just PM me. ;)

Best regards, Tesk

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Testing the firewall is easy..
    Have you tried Shields Up at grc.com?

3. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If you want to see how secure your system is, you could go to a website that has malware samples. You can also go to disreputable foreign websites to see if they can attack your system with malware.

For firewall testing, you can go to firewallleaktester.com
    As for recommending programs, there are many varieties and categories of security software (antivirus, antispyware, antitrojan, antirootkit, etc.). There are tradeoffs when using a combination of them because sometimes they work on one machine and not the other.

4. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,
    Tests of the type you're talking about usually involve scanning for open ports, exploits, and generally speaking, the system's real time protection mechanisms. For port probes and firewall testing, refer to grc's shields up, PC-flank, firewall leaktester.com, hackerwatch.org, etc... For exploits, there are a number of programs that would get you started, I've not read the rules here so I couldn't tell you which one and where to get it, but megasploit comes to mind. To test yourself without mounting any attack, you could try using PSI from secunia which scans for outdated and exploitable softwares. A program named Win Doctor will scan for weaknesses and patch some holes up for you. To test your system's real time protection, please use VMconverter to make yourself a VM, then go visit wareze sites.
    As always, back up before you do so.
    Best regards,

5. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

6. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Thanks for every answer.

But I was trying to figure out how to penetrate my systems. I want to know how easy it is to penetrate a system without a firewall and then try with diffrent firewalls.

Some of my friends have heard about programs, there just is penetrating a system without firewall and make you able to control the computer.

It should be a nice tool, because it have a good UI.

Anyone who can recommend a program for this?

7. mikeo1313

mikeo1313 Registered Member

you might want to give cain & able a try... very comprehensive toolset

8. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have for several years tested different flavors of HIPS, FW, and AV´s to be secure. First it was fun to know that if something ever happened I knew I would be safe, but when the years passed by in the desert of secureness I got tired and started to try to find the malware myself. I mostly got them from online friends who felt sorry for me and threw me some so I could test the security I had, and most of the security software indeed ate them like hungry rotweilers. So most of them do work as advertised.

My advice is to try to find real malware to test your stuff. But of course have a solid backup plan.

9. tesk

tesk Registered Member

I've been looked at the program, but didn't find it very well.

I want to test a firewall. That is not enough with only some malware samples. Belive me, i have some malware and sometimes im releasing it on my computer for seeing wich programs detecting it.

But i want to test how my firewalls at home and see how they will react when it is being attacked by a hacker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.