How to test Antivirus Software?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hutchingsp, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

Does anyone have pretty much a checklist of how they test the performance and effectiveness of Antivirus software?

I'm currently evaluating NOD32 and Kaspersky in a corporate environment and am trying to come up with some measure of performance that is a bit better than "gut feel".

Suffice to say it's much harder to find spyware/viruses when you actually need them!

2. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

You don't need malicious files to test antiviruses. Av-comparatives and Av-test are doing that better than you. But if you need to test if antivirus is working you can try eicar test file : www.eicar.org .

And for the performance I have a method; I have a downloads folder with full exe and archive files. Some files is big ( like 800mb) and some are very small( like 50kb). I click that folder in windows explorer and count the time when icons loading. When all icons loaded i stop the count.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

First of all you need to straighten out what is important to you.
    detection? cleaning? cpu usage? compatability?

Than just work with it for a while. Not just one day but a couple of weeks. And see what it can do for you. ~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2007
  4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

What would be recommended to prevent a test of brand 'B' from being contaminated by leftovers from your test of brand 'A'o_O?

5. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Try using an image using an image making program like Acronis True Image. Keep the "clean" image on an external drive or different partition (I would encrypt that one to ensure no changes were made.) That is what I do when I test any kind of software, malware, system change.

SourMilk out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.