How to stop startup scan?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RedHedd, Jul 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedHedd

RedHedd Registered Member

In the last day or two all of a sudden NOD32 is running a startup scan on bootup that seems to go on forever. This morning's start scan ran for a while (about an hour?) and then a few minutes later another "startup scan" started while I was working. I'm poking around the app, trying to find where I can stop or limit this scan as it's eating up resources on my not-very-fast PC.

Yes, I'm new to these forums, but not new to PC's. Thanks for your help

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It must be something else or just the GUI . A start-up scan can't last for more than a few seconds to a minute.

You need to open the user interface , change to Advanced mode , visit the Scheduler and manage the scans . I strongly recommend you not to disable the start-up scan.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What are your "not very fast" PC's specs?

Add : Something else I can offer you is to download this configuration file . I have created it with ESET Configuration editor .

Using import/export settings option , import it . It will change a few of your settings to ensure they are OK and not changed . It will also make the program not scan non-infectable files to ensure your system runs fast

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  4. RedHedd

2.40 GHZ, 1.2 GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP3.

Actually, I think I've figured it out. There's an HP app that always wants to run @ startup that really eats up resources. I have to disable that darned thing. I think my "problem" is solved. Thanks.

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If you have a printer/3 or 4 -in-1 device of HP - you need to run their software - it is awful . I am aware of that problem because in our office we have one . What I did was to disable one of HP's program services from running (automatically) . This fixes the problem :) Nice to see your problem is also resolved

By the way - your computer is not so old , neither slow , in my opinion . Especially running Windows XP

6. RedHedd

Well I took that danged HP Digital device monitor (or whatever the heck it's called) program out of my startup folder and TA DA! problem solved. Printer works too.

I remember once trying to call HP tech support to see if there was a different way to configure that particular application so it didn't run at startup nor in the systray, and they couldn't figure it out. They couldn't even tell me what that app did!

7. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

ASpace:

By "start-up scans," do you mean "Automatic startup file check," or something else? In NOD32 AV v 4.0.437, when I look at Tools, Scheduler, I see two of those: "User logon," and "Successful update of the virus signature database" (with both mentioning that they don't run if the computer is on battery).

Roger Folsom

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes,I do.

9. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

ASpace: Thanks for clarifying that. Roger Folsom

10. keiser

keiser Registered Member

HP printers @ startup can also cause network problems. I use one of the several programs to selectively delay the HP startup for 30 seconds and all is swell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.