How to start from recovery dvd?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bene, Nov 6, 2013.

1. bene

bene Registered Member

[FONT=&quot]With the recovery media builder, I made a recovery dvd. I choose standard recovery media image (typical). But when I try to start my Sony Vaio [/FONT]Fit SVF-1521G1EW with Windows 8_64bits, it won’t boot from this dvd. Not directly and also not when I use the advanced start-options from windows 8.
    In the bios I set the boot order to first Internal Optical Disk Drive and enabled External Disk boot in the boot configuration. Secure boot options are disabled in the bios.
    In this forum I found something about changing uefi mode to legacy mode in the bios, but I am a bit scared to try that and for all, I hope it is not necessary.
    So I hope I am doing something wrong and/or can make a recovery dvd from which my vaio laptop can boot to the normal mode and open PBR (as described on page 12 from the PBR2013-manual).

Does anybody know how I can solve this?
    Thank you

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

You could try the legacy mode. Changing this setting should not cause any problem. But you´re right that this shouldn´t be necessary.

There are other, more flexible, ways to do this. Instead of burning directly the DVD, you can create an ISO file and save it. From this ISO, you can burn optical disks using Windows or other programs, or you can "burn" a USB boot key with Rufus. This USB should boot in normal UEFI mode.

Making a recovery DVD with the PBR image is something totally different. It´s a DVD to restore the computer to the factory configuration. That is, to the configuration that it had when you received it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  3. bene

bene Registered Member

Hello Robin, thank you again for helping.
    I am sorry, but I need more help. I don't understand how to create a bootable dvd to launch normal boot mode and from there PBR. I understood from the manual that Recovery Media Builder would do that, but I understand from your explanation that is not the case.
    So I have been searching how to create an ISO file and I also find that option in Recovery Media Builder, but after I chose that option I don't know how to go on. I also found a lot about creating bootable dvd's and created a Windows 8 systemrecovery dvd from which I can boot, but I do not know what to do with it, how to "combine" it with the PBR recovery media, so I can startup to this menu:

View attachment 240321

I tried to add the files of the W8 systemrecovery dvd, but that didn't work.
    I find that I miss a lot of knowledge, but do not know where to start. I hope somebody can tell me where to find more information and learn how to do this.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Please disregard this. I misunderstood the meaning of "PBR" in your post. You are referring to Paragon Backup and Restore.

The problem is that you created a Linux boot disk using Recovery Media Builder, and it´s not possible to boot from it in normal UEFI mode, with Secure Boot disabled.

Did you try to boot the DVD in legacy mode? The change to legacy doesn´t cause any problem. You can revert the change later. To enable legacy mode you must disable Secure Boot, but that´s no problem since you have it disabled already.

If the disk doesn´t boot in legacy mode, it may be that this Linux disk doesn´t work in your computer, possibly because of driver problems. In this case, you could try a WinPE boot disk, created with the WinPE Recovery Media Builder.

5. bene

bene Registered Member

I am sorry for the confusion! Won't use these abbreviations again.

In legacy mode it works fine. I am glad it works this way, maybe later I'll try to make a WinPE boot disk. At this moment I am still to busy to install my new laptop and learning how things work with W8 ;). And now I am sure I can recover, I am ready to install W8.1.

Thank you so much again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.