How to split a screenshot

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pedro, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm trying to figure out how to split a screenshot taken with Faststone Capture, using the autoscrolling function. The image/pdf (i saved in both) is too big, and i'd like to split it automatically, so i get a pdf with the image in several pages, not one page that takes too long to load, zoom and scroll.

Perhaps i should use Ghostscript or something, and print the output again to another pdf? Or is there a better way?

TIA to any kind soul who can help me. :p

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Pedro, I'd open faststone capture, take a small screenshot (of anything, this isn't important) just to get to the editor mode.

Then select open.
    Then open the large image.
    Then select the rectangle tool.
    Highlight just the area you want - say one screen page (or a bit more)
    Select crop
    Then save this as a PDF (name it Page 1).

Do the above process for the remaining pages. Highlighting/cropping a page/screensize at a time. Save to PDF (name it Page 2).

Then download the following free portable tool.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/office/pdftk_builder_portable

Use its collate function, add your files (Page 1, Page 2 etc) and save. PDF document will be complete.

3. Saraceno

Just a note, the PDF tool i posted above has a split function, but this doesn't work. I tried it with a large image/PDF, and it just identified the file as having one page, so nothing to split.

4. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

... and RIOT (Radical Image Optimization Tool) v0.3.2 ? It's good?...

5. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Saraceno, thank you very much for the reply. Your solution clearly works.

However, i had that kind of figured out, even the portable app (that's what i'm using, and portable fscapture), which as you observed, can't do what i'd wish.

I was wondering for an automatic solution though, the file is really, really long.
    Perhaps when i get home i'll try in Debian, printing to a file and see what happens. heh

In the mean time, more suggestions are more than welcome :)

7. Saraceno

Ok, got a couple more for you.

Open the image file in faststone capture, and go to the print option.

When you select, fit to page, should show you how many pages it is split up into.

You can also select 'specified size', and this allows you to break up the chunks even further, into smaller or larger sizes. If you select 'preserve aspect ratio', then text or images shouldn't be skewed.

The better option. Install the free PDF driver doPDF, awesome tool, no spyware, featured on lifehacker. www.dopdf.com - I've used it for ages.

Go back to the page you came across, and whether in IE or firefox, or whatever, go to print, and select the doPDF driver as your printer. You can go to preferences to organise page size. Then select 'print' and a PDF will be created, split into appropriate sizes.

The problem with the faststone autoscroll feature, some words will be 'skewed', or 'missing' as it tends to jump around while scrolling (take a look closely and some info might be missing). The doPDF method, ensures the info is crisp! As you see it on the screen. :thumb:

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'll try it as soon as i can. Right now i'm stuffed with paperwork.
    Prorootect, i'll give it a go too. There's even a portable version, though i wonder if it writes anything, file or registry.

Thank you guys.

9. Saraceno

All cool, faststone print options should take care of it - but that's only to print.

doPDF will ensure the info is a high quality PDF and ready for printing.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Turns out you're right, fscapture's editor has an option to do what i wanted, under "Auto-Divided".
    fs-print.gif
    I just didn't get to see it, since i was using a computer with no printer.

But, i bumped into a problem. Some parts of the text are cut, and there's not obvious way to overcome this. fscapture should have an extra option to repeat the last x pixels per page (on the next page), where x is chosen by the user.
    You know what i mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.