How to speed up booting while using McAfee 8.0i?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Leonides, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonides

Leonides Registered Member

My laptop is taking much longer than usual to boot after I installed McAfee8.0i
    can anyone tell me if this is normal. If so, how do I speed up the boot process?

Suggestions about alternative AVs are also welcome.

Thankso_O

2. Leonides

BTW: which is the latest patch for McAfee 8.0i engine 5.2.00?

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Patch 16

4. Leonides

How do I get Patch 16?...can u plz give me the link?

5. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Leonides hello,

Generally speaking, mcAfee's line are termed as heavy system hoager. Same in the line of Norton's, Trend-PCcillin. They're the known 'old reliables' and products known to be 'comprehensive' when packaged as suite.

Firstly... get your specific 'patch' (as suggested by diver) and apply it

Secondly... Thru Task Manager, check your notebook for any 'unnecessary' processes that were configured to run at 'startup'. By means of being 'Unnecessary' is something like your M$ Office componenents which should Not be running at startup at all. Go thru the TM lists and reconfigure those 'unnecessary' ones into on-demand startup only.

3rd, within your mcAfee, go over it's loaded protection-components... system guards, background scanning, script-blocker etc...etc and set off 'some' redundant' process. By means of redundancy, ie - "incoming/outgoing" scan of emails... IMO & practice, i would only set on "either" incoming only, or outgoing!

Fourth; 'Startup Scanning' is a standard on whatever AV you procure. By default, they were set to something called "Smart" which maybe slow to your liking. You can also lessen a scanner's startup scanning load by "switching instead" to selective file definitions only, or specific sets of folders only...etc. There are some folders needed to be mandatorically scanned thou!

Said 'reconfiguring' (but only after an initial full scan at post-download of a new AV setup) does help lessen the load on a running antivirus, whatever brand it was. And thereafter, you may find such "old venerables" post-system startup behavior more suitable to your liking then.

'Reconfiguration' of an AV scanner is termed as "tweaking" by veterans here in Wilders'. But as a whole, before you do your scanner tweaks... understand the advantages of your installed AV-scanner first!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  6. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Heavy - Mcafee Enterprise?! U must be kidding right? o_O

Anyway - try to apply the latest patch, U'll get it by loggin in to your account at mcafee.

I know a lot of hospitals who are using very old ibm machines with mcafee enterprise 8 especially because its VERY light and easy to manage for the administrators.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

You have to be kidding. If you are licensed to use the product, there should be no problem getting the patch.

8. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

Everyone has the right to his own opinion, and i respect that. But in my experiences, i stand pat on my verdict about mcAfee in general. And frankly speaking too, there was an indication of general trend being pickup by these 'old reliables' (mcAfee & Norton specifically), they have endeavour to have it light on rigs' resources with some improvement on scanning speed.

1 thing these 'old reliables' does stand out - clean cut reliability when it comes to post-infection healing, if not build-in then thru their tool fixes. Its results are straightforwardly good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.