How to speed up a download?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Beer Dog, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer Dog

Beer Dog Registered Member

I download updates for a software program on a regular basis. For some reason, NOD32 scans the download and delays the process. Is there a way to put the website on an exclusion list and speed things up? I've tried setting the website for "Higher Efficiency" in IMON setup, but it still scans the download.

A few other points:
    1) I've only noticed this behavior at this particular website. Other downloads don't seem to get this treatment.
    2) When I do a system scan with NOD, it seems to take a long time to scan the saved download from this site.
    3) When right clicking the download, the properties page is delayed from opening.
    4) I trust the software and the website as I have not had any problems with their program.

The website in question is www.stvsoft.com/index.php

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

I took a look at the SensorsViewPro21Setup.exe download from that site. From what I can tell, it uses a runtime packer to store the contents. Every time you download the file or access the file, NOD32 must unpack the installer .exe file in memory to scan the contents of the files inside. This is why it is taking so long. Other files with runtime packers do the same thing... for example, the installer file for Google Toolbar.

If you want to exclude http://www.stvsoft.com from IMON scanning, go to IMON --> HTTP --> Server compatability.

If you want to exclude the files you download from STV Software from AMON scanning (for example, after the download has finished, when you run the .exe file, when you right-click --> Properties...), go to AMON --> Exclusions. It may be easier if you create a separate "exclusion" folder for such downloads, then exclude the entire folder. That way, you will not have to create a new exclusion for every single file you download from them. ;)

3. Beer Dog

Beer Dog Registered Member

:thumb: Thank you alglove, for your informative and detailed reply. Your analysis was right on the money.

I excluded the SensorsView website from IMON scanning per your instructions. The downloads appear immediately now. Also, I keep all the downloaded .exe's in individual folders labeled by date or version. These folders are in turn stored in a single backup folder. So it was simple enough to add the SensorsView backup folder to the AMON exclusion list. The properties windows now pop up right away with a right-click. Wonderful!

Funny thing about the site---the author rarely announces a new version! I have to click on the download button and see if the size of the .exe has changed to determine if a new version is available. So although the stvsoft.com website announces that a new version of SensorsView Pro is available as of February 20th, there have actually been more than a dozen updates since then. I check the download size about once a week, and now the process will be back to its pre-NOD speed with the exclusions I've made.

Alglove, thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.