How to specify DNS numbers in Jetico config

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by poirot, Jun 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poirot

poirot Registered Member

After a period of time-thanks to posts by stem and others here and to the
    www.wikilearning.com site in spanish-i can venture modifying Jetico's rules to my needs, but i have not yet been able to add a DNS rule with my ISP numbers and a block all the rest rule because i couldnt find a way to write or add these numbers to the New Rule tab which comes up.
    Can anyone please tell me what to do about it?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi poirot,
    If you are using the DNS client (svchost is performing the DNS lookups) and you are using the default "Optimal protection", then the DNS rules are found_ root/system IP table/system internet zone. The rules in place are set one for outbound and one for inbound. The default rules are already using your DNS server IP`s (taken from the windows config), but if you want to manually enter the IP`s then you will need to manually edit. (see attached pic). At present, you can only enter one IP address in each rule, so if you want to add others IP servers you will need to add more rules. (just post if you need help with this)

EDIT:-
    A full DNS rule can be found Here post#74

Attached Files:

• 01.gif
      01.gif
      File size:
      99.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi poirot,
    Attachment to show 2 rules to block in/out DNS. Ensure these are placed below the allow DNS rules.
    (sorry for the delay)

Attached Files:

• 1.GIF
      1.GIF
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
  4. olap

olap Registered Member

5. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I am the one to be sorry for the delay in noticing these replies-fact is i had abandoned hopes of receiving any after a few days...

stem-as usual you've been exceedingly kind and precise....i had found a stumbling block in choosing btw 'host' or 'network' among other things,but after your explanation there is complete light in the garden of Jetico (at least until the next..eheh!but i hope to force you to less work next time).
    Thanks a lot!

olap-thanks to you,too,but i must tell you that i began to use Jetico as a means of learning a bit myself, that's why i'd like to make a configuration which is mine and entirely 'thought' by myself in the end- even if,for the time being, my aim is transferring into Jetico config the sort of tree-based rules which Kerio 2.1.5 had.
    I guess your set of rules aim to 'simplify' the job,whereas i dont want to simplify but make it more efficient. (not accusing you of making it 'less',i'd rather say 'more personal' instead).

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi poirot
    Yes, sorry, I did miss your post.
    No problem, if I can help, I will.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.