How to set up NOD32 v3 with Download Statusbar?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DarkRogue, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkRogue

DarkRogue Registered Member

Hello,

I recently built a new PC and decided to switch my AV from AVG to NOD32 to give it a try and see the differences. I reinstalled Firefox and its addons and I was re-configuring them and I ran across a problem.

The Download Statusbar addon/extension for Firefox allows me to instruct it to activate a virus scan for every file I download. I previously had it set up with AVG, but since I switched to NOD32, I've been trying to get it to work to no avail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm supposed to use the command line executable (ecls.exe) right?

I gave it the path to the ecls.exe and the command prompt will open, but no matter what parameters I specify, it won't actually do anything. I'm trying to test this by downloading the EICAR test virus. With NOD32 fully enabled, it won't even allow me to download it, terminating the connection beforehand. But I wish to see its response should it happen to miss a download, so I temporarily disabled NOD32 via the right-click menu. Now I can download the file, but it won't scan it and leaves it alone.

I've tried the parameters that were stated in the help files using double-dashes, and they didn't work. I also tried the parameters with a forward slash as detailed in the sticky on these forums and elsewhere I've found, but they don't work either. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

For the record the parameters I have currently entered is:
    /aind /no-log-all /no-boots /no-mail /sfx /rtp /adware /unsafe /unwanted /pattern /heur /adv-heur /action=prompt /files %1

The %1 is stated as the argument to use for the file to scan. I've tried both using and not using it, to the same effect. I also recall reading somewhere about an issue with action=prompt, but I do not get any response with action=clean either.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi,

That file is will have already been scanned twice before you open it. To have the browser scan it again with the same AV, in my opinion, really isn't necessary.

That option was necessary a few years ago when AV programs scanned only after the file was on the machine.

Thank you,
    BFG

3. DarkRogue

DarkRogue Registered Member

Thank you for the reply.

I was aware that NOD32 was scanning even before the download began, as having it fully active would result in the EICAR virus failing to even download. I didn't know it would be scanned that many times though, when does it scan? On download start and again on download complete?

I suppose if it brings its full scanning power on every file I download, it would be redundant to manually scan it again as it would turn up the same result, whether detected or missed. It probably would give me some peace of mind though, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort.

Thanks again

4. piranha

piranha Registered Member

Yes Nod can block unsafe download.

Nod have a "Optimized scanning" setting, dont scan again a file known as secure until it is modified. See here in Advanced Setup (see Help files for more details).....

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.