How to set up MultiBoot

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by niteghost, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niteghost

niteghost Registered Member

New to Disk Directory Suite, how can I set up the booting of my PC so that I can Choose to boot up from Xp or win 2000??
    I will install Win 2000 on a different Partition and I have Win XP Pro in C:\ now.

Thanks

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello niteghost,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

If you want to set up a dualboot system then please follow these instructions:
    - Please install Acronis OS Selector under your existing Windows XP operating system;
    - Insert Windows 2000 installation CD, run Acronis OS Selector and choose to boot from the CD;
    - Please install Windows 2000 operating system into a separate partition;
    - After installation is finished please boot Acronis OS Selector and boot into Windows Xp;
    - Make the appropriate changes in the boot.ini file. Please take a look at this article describing how to edit the boot.ini file.
    - Please re-activate Acronis OS Selector.

You can also find more information about these actions in the section 8.2 of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. niteghost

Thanks for the Steps in guiding me to set up the dual boot. But after I install the OS Selector, the only Option I got was Boot from Floopy A:\ No option to Boot from CD -ROM

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

And if you insert the CD before booting? Does the CD boot option appear in the OS selector screen?

5. niteghost

Will get back to U later, when I get a chance tomorrow. thanks

6. niteghost

" Insert Windows 2000 installation CD, run Acronis OS Selector and choose to boot from the CD;
    - Please install Windows 2000 operating system into a separate partition; "

Just wondering, should 'nt I install windows 2000 first . before inserting the Windows 2000 CD ??

7. Acronis Support

Hello niteghost,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Actually, you should insert the installation CD of your operating system exactly for this purpose - in order to install the operating system.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

8. niteghost

Thanks for getting back to me, I have decided on Windows 98SE, instead of Windows 2000, is the procedure of setting up the OS the same too , as windows 2000? Thanks

9. Acronis Support

Hello niteghost,

Yes, the main algorithm of using Acronis OS Selector for this purpose is the same. All the differences are in the Windows installation process.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

10. niteghost

Apparently,the method outline here is NOT working for me either choosing windows 2000 or Windows 98 SE. For Win 2000 Prof. the installation goes as far as formating the Partition that I allocated and won't install. [ saying that ny disk is "damaged" ]
    For Win 98 SE, the OS Selector, won't recognises the Win 98 SE Setup and basically won't even go beyond that. Well, I think I am going to setup my Multibooting using Microsoft Multibooting Outline:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/2000xp.mspx
    The Disk Director suite , OS selector is really NOT working for me, causing more problems ( some of my Partioning Software is NOt working now ). Thanks anyway.

11. Acronis Support

Hello niteghost,

We can investigate this issue.

Please do the following:

- Launch Acronis Report Utility and select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy;

Please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Anton Sherkhonov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.