How to send secure email messages with Bitmessage

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Minimalist, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It's worth to note Bitmessage is messaging protocol, but not instant messaging protocol.
    PS. Actually e-mail isn't instant messaging protocol either.

3. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

That is a quote from the setup info. Frankly, that is where almost all of us run into a glitch. Almost zero of my real name associates would use this service. Call it stupidity or just apathy, but they won't go through anything even close to this. When they hear about GPG or anything related they tune me out immediately. Just the facts on my life, and I am betting for most of us here.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yup. Security needs to be simple like encrypted IM apps, otherwise it's a failure in design in my opinion.

5. longshots

longshots Registered Member

Todays' mantra, for almost everything, is "When do we want it: NOW". I think most of them would rate encryption, or even 2FA, on a par with open heart surgery. Places to go - things to do, until they suffer the consequences of their carefree approach. And that's the thing, very few do. Even though we read everyday of "gazillions" of users having their passwords hacked, if they are not affected financially, then the users don't give a monkeys.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yeah, Bitmessage is a little intimidating. But also, is it really still one of the most secure and private options? It does work well enough in Whonix, I admit. And it seems pretty reliable.

7. reasonablePrivacy

IIUC it encrypts even metadata. So yes, it is probably the most private one.

8. mirimir

How about vs Signal? Or (ha ha) WhatsApp?

9. reasonablePrivacy

To use Signal one must register it with her/his phone number. Signal is centralized service, so Signal knows who is communicating with who (phone numbers, IP addresses). IIUC in Signal some metadata is hashed, but there is very limited input and no salt, so all the output can be effectively pre-computed. This is not enough to know for sure metadata is secure.

Bitmessage is fundamentally different. It is p2p network. IIUC all the data and metadata are securely encrypted.

10. mirimir

Yeah :( But people do argue that one can use ~anonymous virtual numbers for Signal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.