How to secure uTorrent?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Konata Izumi, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I need uTorrent for my P2P downloading. Anyone know how to properly set it up in a secure way? :doubt:

2. funkydude

funkydude Registered Member

How would it be insecure? Add it to EMET.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

uTorrent itself isn't necessarily a dangerous program. Using EMET to force it to take advantage of security protocol is a good way to harden it.

The dangerous part of p2p is:
    1) It's not exactly anonymous. You're "putting yourself out there" so to speak.
    2) It's often used to distribute malware. Links get added and seeded and voted up by malicious users and once you download it you're screwed.

Judging by your security setup in your signature I don't see anything that needs to be added. Just be careful about what you download.

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I have NAT in my router... but I have to enable that "uPNP thing" so utorrent can connect properly. is it safe to enable that upnp thing in my router setting?

5. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Instead of using UPnP, specify a single incoming port and manually forward or allow it thruough your router and/or firewall. If you set up your network with static IPs, UPnP is not necessary.

uTorrent itself isn't insecure. It's the stuff you download that can be risky. Treat everything that you download as an unknown, upload it to a site like VirusTotal, and if possible, first run it on a test unit or virtual environment to make sure it's OK.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

In addition to already posted advice, it may be wise to turn on protocol encryption in uTorrent to prevent traffic-shaping and snooping by 3rd parties. IP blocklists like BISS IP Blocklist can also be nice.

8. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

PeerBlock is good addition for p2p protection.

Do you run utorrent in say VMware player? Slap a windows in + different security approach than in your host. Gives layered security, harder for hackers to crack. And try setting your router or vm settings to static instead of nat, folks in internet see those computers as seperate computers when useing static, when using NAT your vm and host is seen in net as one computer.

I dont rly now too much about computers etc, you all probably know things better than i do. Just thought to offer some limited advice that i know, hope it helps :)

(Soz for spell errors).

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.