How to secure an Android smartphone

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Spysnake, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

I have a big problem. Today, I ordered, for the first time ever, an Android phone, specifically the Motorola Razr MAXX. To this day, I have only used the so-called "basic" phones, such as Nokia entry models.

The problem is, while I know in and outs of many PC operating systems, I know _nothing_ about securing mobile phones. I have grown accustomed to using software like Sandboxie to guarantee my safety when surfing the web. I have my Win7 locked down pretty tightly, with Applocker and such in place. Can I get a same degree of security with my new Android phone, and if I can, how?

The phone will mainly be used for quick web checks and other things which may be required when out of home. I may connect to public wifi spots and browse unfamiliar sites, but for the most part, it's 3G connection and only familiar sites. With a computer OS, it's a breeze; I'd have my browser inside a sandbox, and firewall blocking untrusted connections when in a public wifi network. But how can I do it with this phone?

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

go to the Google Play Store and search for avast

then install Avast! Mobile Security!

It's free, and does a very good job at keeping your phone secure. Furthermore, it has AntiTheft Technology built in (also free)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.