How to schedule alternating full/differentials?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Soundman, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundman

Soundman Registered Member

Hello, All.

I want to use the Acronis TI Home's Scheduler feature to make a differential backups daily, and full backups weekly of a certain Folder subtree (not a whole partition).

I want all these backups to persist unless I manually delete them. It would seem that I could accomplish this by making two schedule entries - one for the full backup, to run Weekly, and a separate one for differential, to run daily.

However, the scheduler hard-codes the name of the full backup, so that it always overwrites the previous backup file. I want it to append a date or at least a number to the filename.

Likewise, the differential (or incremental) scheduled task hard-codes the name of the full backup on which it is based, so that, even if I renamed the backup.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this, in the absence of a feature like this one:

Feature Suggestion: Provide an easy "Make every Nth backup Full" option when scheduling an automatic differential or incremental, and append date to filename.

Thanks,
    Soundman

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

How about -
    FULL image named BACKUP gets created on Monday; DIFFs get created Tuesday - Friday and are automatically named BACKUP2 – BACKUP5.
    You could run a pre backup command associated with the FULL backup to rename BACKUP – BACKUP5, adding the date or whatever (NameDate is a very nice, free utility). This would fail the first time since no such files exist but you could code the batch/script file to ignore the error or just create dummy files with these names before the first run.
    NOTE **** AFAIK there are pointers in each file that connect it to the others in the set. Therefore I believe you would have to rename all the files in a set back to their original names before restoring from them.

3. Soundman

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot.

That's pretty annoying. I will try doing a restore on a renamed set of base + differentials and report back whether it depends on the names remaining unchanged.

4. Soundman

OK. I tried this. Renaming the backup and the differentials caused no trouble as long as the full backup and differentials (or, presumably, incrementals) were renamed in the same way.

I guess it's time to write some scripts

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Soundman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delay with the response.

Please take a look at this previous post of mine providing the example of a batch file automatically renaming backups in accordance with the current date.

Please also take a look at the respective Microsoft Knowledge Base Article explaining standard Windows scripting rules.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.